Things.....can only get better...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, May 1, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

...can only get better...

Anthony Charles Lynton Blair, known as "Bomber" for his part in the illegal occupation of Iraq, has announced that he will officially resign next week. He will continue as Prime Minister for seven weeks following the announcement whilst his successor, likely to be current Chancellor Gordon Brown, is chosen.

Blair, who came to office on 2nd May 1997 on an anti-sleaze ticket, spectacularly failed to live up to people's expectations, became mired in sleaze allegations himself, and has been repeatedly and accurately accused of relying too much on spinning every piece of news rather than telling the truth. He has been the longest serving Labour Prime Minister, and also the only British Prime Minister to be investigated and questioned by the Police whilst in office.

Good riddance Tony. And enjoy that consultancy role with the Carlyle Group you sucked up so hard to obtain.

BBC News

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

woot.

This reminds me how out of touch I am with politics. Damn. Not owning a television has taken it's toll.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'm sure that the front page of today's Independent will make his day:

"On the 10th anniversary of Tony Blair's election as Prime Minister, an exclusive poll reveals 69% of Britons believe that, when he leaves office, his enduring legacy will be the bloody conflict in Iraq."

Mind the door doesn't hit your arse on the way out Tony.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So how's this new guy? He any good, or is it going to be more of the same? And yes, some Americans do actually care about what goes on in other countries. Shocking, I know.

Now if only we could get W out...

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I just realized that I will never have lived in London under a Blair government. I was last there before the election in 1997 and I'll be going back this fall.

Maybe it's just amusing to me.:rolleyes: :D

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it'll still be the same party in power of course, just a different face in front

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Lovely.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Bring back the Torries!

9. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

David Cameron is just Blair Mk. II. The choice is between Brown or nobody right now.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I'll be voting Plaid Cymru :)

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I didn't realise they were fielding a candidate in the West End. :p

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

This news, in combination with the elections in France on Sunday, should make things interesting in the near future.

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If every leader could be like Jed Bartlet in West Wing then we'd all be very happy, proud people. Unfortunately our leaders seem to be more and more human these days, and their flaws are ever more greatly exposed.

I think Tony Blair has done a pretty good job. During his term I've done well for myself, and the rest of my family is still going strong. Touch wood, I haven't been robbed, attacked or otherwise troubled. Tax has been high, but not unbearable, and the roads, trains, planes and even the NHS have continued to tick over. Schools, well, they're hanging in there.

What more can we ask of a mere mortal? Ok, yes, it's not just him, it's a political party, but for the most part he has done alright. Not a revolutionary, just an evolutionary in the continued growth of the UK.

I'm currently not registered to a political party, but I just wanted to say that actually saying "Things.....can only get better..." isn't true. Things could be much, much worse. Worse for me, worse for my family, and worse for all of you. While I look forward to having a new leader, perhaps one who'll ease the tax burden a bit, I can't help but admire the past period of economic stability and hope that it continues.

And come on, no matter how much you hate the guy, it's not like he's as bad as George Bush.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

More than you can say for the unfortunate Iraqis. Blair is a War Criminal. Whatever else he has done pales into insignificance.

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

For you, maybe. I'm not ready to call him a war criminal, I don't know all the facts. All I know for certain is that he hasn't harmed the health or prosperity of my family or myself - and that's important too.

I know that war is a terrible thing, and I don't agree with what has happened. That doesn't immediately discredit all of his achievements in my book.

17. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

You know for certain... hmm. I wouldn't be so certain if I were you. Blair and what he did is like cancer. You can smoke and drink and have a merry old time - but it may be at the cost of a deadly cancer growing silently within you. By the time the horrific symptoms strike, it's too late.

The illegal, murderous war in Iraq will have dire consequences for Britain (and the U.S.). The bills that are generated now, you haven't had to pay as yet. That gives you an illusion of prosperity. There will be a terrific price to pay, not the least of it in world stability. For now, the situation with Muslim disenchantment in Britain and the attendant dangers, are a mere downpayment. There's more to come.

When partaking of a fabulous feast a glib friend throws for you in a restaurant, it may be wise to inquire as to who exactly will pay for this. The glib friend has left the premises, and the bill is coming - to you. Enjoy your food.

18. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Wow, I grossly misjudged the levels of Blair-hatred here! I can see this is going to be a single issue discussion, so I'll gracefully retire :p

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

but most importantly -- did the trains run on time?

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

How much does water cost now? Considerably more than when he took power, I'm sure. Blair's a Tory in Labour's clothing. He's been disastrous for the lower levels of society, but those at the top can't stop fawning over him.

21. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

You gotta be a bit less subtle around here :(

WWII is very far from memories, and the educational system is not the best. And you don't even have to go as far as WWII for collective amnesia to strike. After all, if people actually could remember further back than what they had for breakfast, they'd remember the Vietnam war - and that would mean the Iraq war would be impossible.

Kids these days, get off my lawn type anecdote:

I was in the company of 5 people - 3 men 2 women, all about in their mid 30's. This was during the time when the media were full of stories of how "we'll stand down, as the Iraqis stand up" and how well the training of the Iraqis is going. A discussion of the Iraq war erupted, and they were weighing the administration position. At which point I came up with what I thought was a great zinger. I said: "I think it's time to send in the South Vietnamese Army. I think they are ready by now." General puzzlement - "you mean South Korean? There are already South Korean troops in Iraq" - nobody got it. Nobody. I tried explaining how we went through this exact exercise during the Vietnam war, and how that failed. I invoked the magical phrase "Vietnamization". Nobody remembered what that was, or even heard the expression. I was floored.

My point: zingers don't work when the audience doesn't have the historical knowledge for the zinger to work. I'm suggesting that zingers based on WWII are doomed to fail - beyond the one word of "Hitler" (maybe you can work the mustache in, without bankrupting the treasury of historical knowledge of your audience). There will be some who get it, but it's a small number.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's pretty funny, actually.

and i have no issue whatsoever with myself or anyone else making an intelligent / witty / well-done-sarcastic comment that not everyone understands.

in fact, i like it when others do, because sometimes i learn something.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Blair, along with his gang of Straw, Hoon, Clarke and the rest, has ruined the reputation of this country as an honest broker, is largely to blame for provoking the 7/7 attack in London, and has set back progress in the Middle East by a generation.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Beat me to it... :)

25. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The choice between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich is always a tough one.