Things to do before selling an iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefanboy5, May 24, 2013.

1. applefanboy5 macrumors member

If i want to sell my iPhone 5 would restoring it be enough? And would i have to remove my sim card? I have Verizon by the way, thanks.

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

ya a full restore as new is what you need to do.

and i doubt the new owner would want your old sim card unless you haven't blocked it and he can use to make free calls so you might want to take it out as well.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

restore the phone as new and remove your SIM card. then call verizon to verify the phone is released off your account so the new owner wont run into any trouble trying to activate it.

4. lelisa13p, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

And log out of all of your Apple ID related items like iMessage and FaceTime. Go to Apple.com and disassociate the device from your Apple ID after logging out.

See this post, from another thread regarding same topic. It shows specific instructions.

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

The sim card has all your personal & account info on it.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you REALLY want to give them your sim, you technically can. The Nano sims are reusable, but you will want to make sure that VZW disassociates the card from your account. Otherwise all of your info will be on it, as mentioned.

If you activate another phone on the account, since the iPhone 5 is the only nano sim phone on the market (AFAIK), they will give you a new sim, likely a micro sim. Your current nano sim will then be deactivated.

HTH!

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

actually im pretty sure once a SIM is deactivated, it can no longer be used. I bought my friends iPhone 4 on at&t two years ago and i was coming from a blackberry with a normal SIM. i attempted to reactivate his old micro SIM and they told me once it was deactivated, it was no longer good and had to go to at&t and get a new one. besides, i wouldnt recommend the OP send his SIM with the phone, no need to as the buyer most likely has their own anyways.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Nano sims are different. Your statement is correct about every other sim. Nano sims, which only ship in the iPhone 5 (I don't think any other phones use them yet) can be activated multiple times.

9. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

The technology stays the same, it's just less plastic around the chip on the micro and even less on the nano SIM. At least here in Europe, you can cut SIM cards down to use them in iPhone 4s or 5s...what I'm trying to say is that if nano SIMs can be reactivated, it's a decision made by the specific carrier (for whatever reason).

Might be different for networks other than GSM though.

10. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I've done the cutting technique before too.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't personally know what they do to it. The OP is on Verizon and I know they are willing to do what it takes to reuse a nano sim, but not any others. I have trouble accepting that "reprogramming" one and not the other is completely arbitrary.

12. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

You can find a diagram online on what to cut.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

In very well aware that they can be cut. That's not at all what in talking about here. I am talking about the fact the the nano sim can be deactivated and reused by someone else. Nothing to do with cutting.