Things Younger than John McCain - A Blog

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, May 16, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/
    I thought this blog was funny, and some useful food for thought.

By the way, McCain is older than McDonald's, Color TV, Scientology, LSD, Velcro, and the Creation of the Internet.

Swallow that one whole, why don't ya?

What do you folks think of this blog? A valid question over age, or an excuse for Ageism?

I thought his entry on Senator Thad Cochran (younger than McCain) was kind of pointed. According to Cochran:
    ~ CB

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Bingo! We have a winner!

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Just some satire. Some of his points might be valid but this is for pure comedy . And thought provoking.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I hear some creationists believe John McCain is older then the universe, but I want some proof first.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

We simply cannot elect a man who is older than chocolate chip cookies! :eek:

I found this site very entertaining.

6. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i agree, john mccain is just too old. the president cant go to bed at 4:30. :)

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

on the other hand, he'll already be awake looking for the toy in his Cheerios box when the phone rings at 3:00 am

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No but let's face it, we'll always find him at an IHop at 2 p.m. eating dinner if we ever do need to speak to him. :)

I like the blog. It is funny but his points aren't quite valid. Besides, doesn't his young wife offset his effective age?

And I have nothing against older people. I happen to be a fan of those 15-20 years older than me. :)

9. Mackan macrumors 65816

In my opinion people should start to take it easy and retire when they reach 60-65. I don't know why anyone feels they have to take such a tough job as president at the age of 71-72. It's when you reach 70 that your body and possibly health may really start to take a beating.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I try not to think of such things, thinking there are more important things to deal with, but with the things he's been saying and doing, I can't help but wonder if it is an issue.

11. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

ABC just led off with a story citing that John McCain is older than the Golden Gate Bridge, Mount Rushmore, and... Israel... then went on to ask, "But is there such a thing as being too old to be President?" Sounds like the question is fairly important, and the method of "conceptualizing" his age seems appealing to the news.

McCain has just made his records available, proving that he's in excellent health, however this "health" resting on the non-recurrence of his polyps. One 2000 quote from McCain making the rounds, was an interview he did with Jim Lehrer on News Hour.

I guess he reconsidered. Here is an interesting poll, comparing Americans reactions to the most prominent characteristics of each of the candidates, and the degree to which people are comfortable with it.

http://pollingreport.com/politics.htm

I think the poll here shows that there's a lot more going on with McCain's age, than there is with perceived prejudices against blacks or women. I don't buy that its simply ageism, but there's certainly that concern.

~ CB

12. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well he is not only older than the internet he is older than any semiconductors/transistors, older than nuclear fission, older than jet engines

seriously personally i think it's currently much better to get a much younger president .. not only america has to take a leap forward but a whole lot of countries are still stuck with their old politicians

14. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I realize that polls are typically taken with a grain of salt, but in this case I don't even think a bucketload would be enough. Almost nobody is going to actually come forward in a poll and admit racial or sexual bias. Exit polls in elections where race (or racism) is a hot topic vary hugely from actual ballot results.

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Depending on when you date the start of the internet (I'd say, from the establishment of the first two nodes of the future ARPANET in 1969), Obama would also be older than it. So that one is a pretty weak claim.

17. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

You shouldn't confuse polls about how one would VOTE and the degree to which someone is comfortable with the IDEA of a president with certain traits. Voting is much more fickle, and damning. How you FEEL about something is a fairly straight forward question and doesn't denote anything regarding ageism, sexism, or racism. It's just how you feel, not how you would act on those feelings. My two cents. See the actual question in the poll:
    "Do you think the voters of this country are ready to elect a qualified [see below] as president, or don't you think so?"
    True though.

~ CB

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I thought it was Bush who disproved the theory of evolution.

19. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

not ageist

I don't think this site is ageist. The author takes great pains to put disclaimers in every article about how it doesn't *necessarily* mean anything that he is older than whatever they are currently comparing him to.

Also, it's not ageist to point out the truth. If John McCain was an old guy who was still "sharp as a tack," but being made fun of because of his age, that would be one thing. If John McCain was an old guy that still has his finger on the pulse of society that would also be different. Being old doesn't necessarily mean you can't appreciate modern music, literature, art, ideas etc.

The reality however, is that John McCain is noticeably feeble, confused, and has a very poor memory. He also has no clue how a computer works, and his favourite movie is still "Viva Zapatta." He is completely clued out about most things in the world today and all of this is directly related to his advanced age.

Pointing this out is (ironically) just "straight talk" IMO. :)

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm not.

21. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Oh... yes, you are. Moreover, if you don't see the distinction between a question of how the poll taker would VOTE and how they think America would vote... why even object? Just argue the merit that they're not different. Personally, I've read reports that the bias is largely connected with how someone says that they'll vote. Anyone admitting being "apprehensive", isn't going to fear saying so in a non-personal poll. This is what I've heard, and I'm pretty sure that nuance isn't often fleshed out in most stories on the topic.

~ CB

22. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

When asked if he is a Mac or PC guy, McCain responded:
    "Neither. I am an illiterate, that has to rely on my wife for all of the assistance I can get." - John McCain

:( I know older Americans that can run circles around me when it comes to the computer. It would be a bit disappointing to think that we'd hire a president that has his wife browse the Internet for him. In an age where we're in desperate need of improving our technological competitiveness, I'd like to think our president had a firm grasp on using technology to improve the efficiency of government.

Anyway. Just caught that:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/11/mccain-admits-he-doesnt-k_n_106478.html

Boy. He's kind of a stereotype there.

Mike Arrington interviewed him and McCain said he didn't use a computer "AT ALL", and was surprised by it.
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c56_1198245339

~ CB

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wouldn't hire a computer-illiterate person for an entry-level position in my firm, let alone to be it's head.

I'd certainly never even consider hiring a computer-illiterate person to be the "leader of the free world".

Evolve or step aside...

24. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I'm hoping we don't endure this as a fun fact for years to come.

DID YOU KNOW?

1. President McCain, first president of the new millenia has described himself as computer illiterate.
    2. President McCain graduated 5th from the bottom of his class at Annapolis Naval Academy (out of 900 students).
    3. President McCain admitted to not knowing anything about the economy prior to the general election, and still won.

SHIVER. That's it kids! Study poorly and skip classes and you too... Eeeeh.

P.S. Obama graduated Magna Cum Laude, but I'm thinking most people know that.

~ CB

25. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

There are only 4,400 total students enrolled in Annapolis. I imagine the graduating class size was closer to 900 than 9,000

... and it's "magna cum laude"