Think I may have lost all my holiday pictures :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamietriner, Oct 5, 2014.

1. jamietriner macrumors newbie

Hi there, im new to this forum, this may have been covered before but i need a quick answer if anyone has one.

I bought a new iPhone 6 last week. Didn't update it or anything just went away on holiday as the camera was great to use.

Took loads of photos, just got back and plugged my old phone into iTunes to back it up. Unplugged that and plugged the new iPhone 6 in. Then copied the backup i made on my old phone onto the new iPhone 6 without starting as a new phone.

It then asked me to install iOS 8.2 and i said yes but then quit it instantly as i completely forgotten about the photos on my new iPhone 6...

I opened iPhoto to see if i could get the photos off the iPhone 6 but nothings coming up and its just saying loading... i can't get on the new phone either as when i turn it on it says... slide up update...

Really stressed as i think i may have put all the information from my old phone to my new phone and wiped off the holiday pictures in the process...

If anyone can help id appreciate it as im pretty down right now.

Thanks

2. Bobo03 macrumors regular

The joys of iTunes.

I think your pictures are gone for good. Sorry.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Agree sounds like they are gone. Why don't you put photo stream on, so in future they are backed up on your Mac.

On your iPhone go to Albums. Do you have a folder called recently deleted?

Not sure if it works after a restore. Worth a look.

4. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Sorry, unless you had iCloud set up on your new iPhone 6, chances are good that your pictures are gone. Unless you had some other service set up on the new phone that automatically uploaded any new pictures as well (Facebook, dropbox, one drive, etc).
    In the future, always make sure to import/transfer any pictures/videos/apps/documents/etc before doing an update or restore.

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Why is it an iTunes's fault when anyone would have imported the photos to iPhoto first? I don't blame the OP but if I just came back from holiday with many memories I would make sure I'll import the pictures first before even thinking about iTunes.

6. jamietriner thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said to the lady who works for Apple over the phone, no prior warning, no pop up warning before i clicked it. Thats all it takes. To be honest im no Apple genius but when Apple are selling expensive phones at £650.00ish they got a responsibly to make sure the user is a happy.

I hold my hands up, its my fault, but i think its pretty poor that there is no little notice that comes up with a warning.

Its very easy to say you'd of done this, you'd of done that... When you obviously know what your talking about. I just thought that the iTunes would add information from my old phone not wipe everything off, again without a warning...

Cheers though guys, pretty gutted to be honest.

7. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

If iCloud was backing them up then iPhoto should be able to see the iCloud photos.

In OS X go to system preferences, iCloud, make sure photos is checked.

8. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

That's pretty odd, since I usually click through all the warnings that iTunes throws up when restoring a phone - there are purchases on your phone, do you want to transfer them? Do you want to create a new backup? etc...
    However, what did you expect? That a restore of an old phone image to a new phone would somehow realize that you wanted to keep the pictures on the new phone? Lesson learned though, I hope. Set up iCloud backups and then you don't have to worry about this again.

9. jamietriner thread starter macrumors newbie

Lesson learned!!!!!

Im setting everything up now...

Selling the phone, buying a nokia 3210 and a small digital camera :) lol

10. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Well, good for you. Hope that setup works for you then.

11. Bobo03 macrumors regular

Not itunes "fault", but still being tied to itunes is a fault of the iphone.

:apple: let me be a big boy and use my phone as a USB mass storage device.

12. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

How would that have helped anything in this regard? If you don't back up your photos, the fact that it's done through iTunes or just drag and drop isn't going to change a thing.
    Plus, how do you propose that you are going to restore a phone via drag and drop? Just drag the backup file to your phone and magic happens?

13. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Don't think you will suddenly me immune. Digital camera memory cards get corrupted and you would not have a cloud backup like with the iPhone.

14. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Shhhh...let him learn another lesson on his own and then go over to a digital camera forum and post about it.

15. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

it's your own fault. the first thing you do when you update something is to back up all the important stuff. you didn't and it was lost.

it's not apple's fault. they provide a service to you that automatically backs up your photos but you chose not to use it nor the other services like dropbox etc.

enjoy your nokia

16. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Gotta agree with the other commenters- if I had just taken a ton of great photos with my iPhone, the first thing on my mind wouldn't be to load iTunes and restore an old backup...

You may not be an Apple genius, but you don't need to be one either. You just need to read the directions. The only thing I fault Apple with in this regard is their lack of effort in making users aware of the iPhone manual that resides on their website.

Lastly, just because the device costs $650+ doesn't mean Apple should be responsible for the lack of user knowledge. An iPhone is a computer, so that means you'll need to know how to use a computer.

17. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

This. People complain about Apple "dumbing down" the smartphone so that anyone can use it and then turn around and complain that Apple didn't "dumb it down" enough.
    You know, the Apple Stores usually do training classes where you can learn the ins and outs of how to use your devices and applications.

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

2 things you had to do on your old device.

Attached Files:

19. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I don't know how to drive my car so I'm going to sell it and just walk everywhere. Stupid car companies! How can they expect everyone to know how to drive??

Enjoy 1998 with your new devices.

20. iosuser macrumors 6502a

The OP is saying that it gives no warning that everything in the phone will be erased and replaced with contents from the backup. That is true.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

True, but I think what the OP did is kind of an edge case. The most common way people use their phones is they buy a new phone, restore from their old backup, THEN start using it. Or they just set up as new and use it that way. For someone to use it for a few days first then want to restore from an older backup is unusual. I can't blame Apple for not having thought that a warning is necessary.

22. Romy90210 macrumors 6502

If its true you did that.. Then your photos should still be saved in that backup... Just restore from that one backup... Itunes does not deletes old backups, unless you delete it yourself....

23. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Isn't there some warning that says "all media will be erased" ? I recall that. I mean it is somewhat common sense that if you choose to restore a phone you need to be sure anything of value is backed up. Surprised anyone who knows this forum exists would not realize that they need to do that. I could understand dumbing the OS down for the average joe.

24. GLS macrumors 6502

If only people would take the time to pay attention to things as important as photos....their backup method....maybe even having multiple backup locations instead of trusting iTunes and iCloud...then the world would be a happier place....

25. BigBeast, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

BigBeast macrumors 6502a

From what I gathered, (s)he got the 6, took photos using the 6, got home and backed up his 4/5, plugged in his 6 without backing it up, and then restored the old phone onto the 6. If that's the case, then no, his photos are gone.

Also, how about using some correct punctuation? Here's how one version of how your post above could look:

If it's true you did that, then your photos should still be saved in that backup. Just restore from that one backup. Itunes does not delete old backups unless you delete it yourself.

Or if you're fond of semicolons:

If it's true you did that, then your photos should still be saved in that backup; just restore from that one backup. Itunes does not delete old backups unless you delete it yourself.