Think I may skip this one

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by jwolf6589, Jun 4, 2018.

  1. jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

    jwolf6589

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado
    #1
    Looks like the min operating requirement will be a mid 2012 computer. Thats just lame because thats what I have and usually when that is the minimum requirement it will mean a slowed down machine so no thanks Apple I will be skipping this one. When I upgraded to IOS 11 on my old iPad Mini 2 it drastically slowed it down, because the mini 2 was the min requirement.
     
  2. redheeler macrumors 604

    redheeler

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    #2
    The beta is running surprisingly well on my Mid 2012 Retina. We're getting to the point that Apple is dropping support for Macs that in actuality have more than enough power to run the software at an acceptable speed, but only support for OpenGL (and not Metal) which Apple has decided to deprecate.
     
  3. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

    jwolf6589

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado
    #3
    We will wait and see. The first version of a major OS is usually loaded with bugs. I will skip it and wait and see what people say who also own 2012 Mac's. I am also using a standard HDD and not a SSD.
     
  4. fisherking macrumors 603

    fisherking

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    ny somewhere
    #4
    always good to make an assumption, rather than gather evidence :rolleyes:. besides, if you skip this one, what is the likelihood that 10.15 will work for you? (or by then, perhaps a new mac?).

    am amazed how quickly people rant about each new os; especially before they've tried it, or, in this case, barely anyone's tried it.
     
  5. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

    jwolf6589

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado
    #5
    I wont replace my Mac till it breaks. I like the built in DVD drive, and the standard USB port on the Mac.
     
  6. fisherking macrumors 603

    fisherking

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    ny somewhere
    #6
    fair enough. meanwhile, why not wait a bit, see what the anecdotal evidence is on 10.14? what people report, how things look over time (i mean, it's only be in the wild for hours). then you can make an informed choice... to update... or not.
     
  7. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

    Royksöpp

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    #7
    It would be wise for you to wait a couple of months and do your research before you make the switch. Read up as much as you can, and note the positives and negatives of others experience.
     
  8. 0002378 Suspended

    0002378

    Joined:
    May 28, 2017
    #8
    Not necessarily. In fact, not likely.

    That is just regarding Apple's official hardware support for the OS. People have come up with hacks to run OS's on unsupported computers. Check out the "Running macOS 10.x.x on unsupported Macs" threads.

    I'm running Sierra on a mid-2009 (unsupported) thanks to the hack by dosdude. There are people with even older computers running High Sierra.

    Don't worry so much ;)

    dosdude1 is already way ahead of me: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/
     
  9. samuels1 Suspended

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2018
    #9
    Good on you, sir.

    Having said that, there's nothing which compels you to install .14. Your mac is working just fine as it is. Complaining about a cutoff is just attention seeking.
     
  10. kemo macrumors 6502a

    kemo

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    ProtonVPN
    #10
    It is definitely wise to wait it out, however swapping HDD for SSD (not sure if it is possible on your machine?) would decrease loading times and overall OS performance immensely.

    Tom
     

Share This Page