Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epcot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
My brother has a Ti powerbook 400 that he's going to trade for a Dell Inspiron 8200 1.4GHz Laptop. Think it's a good deal?

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Well, I would probably do it, but you should be asking yourself not us;).

I'd mainly do it because tibooks look so cool, and I'd just get it for the looks, and it would be just as functional as the PC. I'm also assuming that you prefer macs.

scem0

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Umm, what the hell is INSPIROn 8200? Is it an old model or something? I've seen 8500 not 8200.
And is it 1.4 Centrino? Or Pentium 4?

Dude, from what I've seen the best dell laptop is Inspiron 600m.

All those 8500 or 5150 they are huge and heavy. They are desktop replacements. IF you want a powerful PC laptop that has all major feats. but also is quite mobile, get 600m with Centrino at 1.6Ghz. 512Mbs DDR - 1Gb DDR. 64 Mbs video. and you are in the business...

epcot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
I believe the 8200 is a model before the 8500 and it's a P4

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
I wouldn't do it then.
Telling you all those 8000 series are desktop replacements. They are over 8 pounds. And with p4, battery is gonna last like 1 - 1.5 hours. 400 ti will go for a bout 600 bucks i'd say on ebay.
1.4 P4 laptop is probably like 500 bucks.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
get it right - he is getting the powerbook - his bro is getting the dell.

Look - if it is running X.2 then it will be slower than your dell. No questions asked.

If you want a mac then get it. It is not a bad machine just not the latest.

I personally say get it - sell it (ebay of course) and get a newer one - even if it is a 12" you will want the extra speed.

BUT - the final decision is yours - how bout you do the swap for a week and see how you last?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
benixau, "get it right" is right. :rolleyes:

The OP is not part of the trade at all. He is asking on behalf of his brother, who has the Tibook. His brother is wondering whether he should trade the Tibook to a third party for the Dell. So it's not really an option to just trade for a week.

And no, I don't think it's a good deal for your brother. The Tibook is worth more.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Bad Idea. I have both a TiBook and Dell Inspiron 8000 seires and the Dell weights a ton with horriblew battery life. If you want a desktop replacement then yea it is good. But for portability it stinks.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
if you get the TiBook then i suggest running OS 9 on it forever. personally, i don't think i could trade newer technology for somehthing so old. there is an 8mb graphics card in that TiBook, you might really notice that with Jaguar's graphics needs. i vote NO. i think it would feel like going back in time.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by tjwett
if you get the TiBook then i suggest running OS 9 on it forever. personally, i don't think i could trade newer technology for somehthing so old. there is an 8mb graphics card in that TiBook, you might really notice that with Jaguar's graphics needs. i vote NO. i think it would feel like going back in time.

Umm I think you didn't understand it right... His brother has a Ti Book and wants to trade it in in some shop for a dell laptop. Not vice-versa...

I'd stick with Ti if u need mobility, if you need desktop replacement, get Dell... Although I'd suggest, like i said: Dell Inspiron 600m....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.