Think people don't care there's no Flash on the iPad/iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johneaston, Mar 7, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

I can't believe it's coincidence that a news story from April 2010 is currently the most read article on the BBC News website some eleven months later.

Apple really should at least give people the option (just a swtich in settings with a "Turning on Flash can seriously affect battery running times" warning).

Attached Files:

2. forum user macrumors regular

Many people on the street have heard about the iPad2. Flash was about the first thing that came up in the discussions after the presentation of the iPad 2.
    None of the commenter did own an iPad/iPhone/Touch but all of them knew that they will not be able to survive without Flash. (!)

So if there is a old post on the BBC I am not surprised the post has moved up so high, again.

- Olaf

3. sweetie81 macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm not surfing that much on sites and mostly youtube launches in the application which is nice. Flash however might enhance the experience but so far on my iPhone I haven't missed it. Most sites I'm surfing on my laptop have apps on the iPhone so that is why I haven't noticed the lack of flash on my iPhone.

On the iPad it makes more sense tho.

4. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

One thing that is rarely mentioned when discussing Flash is that it is a proprietary, closed technology. To have it on iPad/iPhone would mean Apple having to integrate someone else's code (Adobe's) into their OS. I can see why they wouldn't want to do this as it means that Adobe would always have a stake in iOS. It also means Apple would be at Adobe's mercy when it came to bugfixes, updates, etc.

I accept that Flash is widely used throughout the web but I think we should be moving on from the days of relying on closed technologies and try to make the web more open. I am not naïve enough to think that Apple really has this altruistic motive at heart but their refusal to use Flash will have the same result ultimately - the web running on open technology - which can only be a good thing.

I would have thought that Android fans especially would be welcoming alternatives to Flash, seeing as Android's biggest advantage is that it is a non-proprietary system. We need to stop thinking of Flash as an Apple/Android divide and start to realise that a more open alternative is better for everybody. Just my thoughts! :)

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

No.

If people cared they wouldn't be buying iPads like hotcakes. If people cared iPhones would never move off the shelf.

Apple shouldn't give people a choice on if they want to run Flash or not. Flash is awful. Flash crashes every browser I use, even Chrome in Windows. I don't want that on my mobile device.

6. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Headline at AppleInsider today

Adobe releases Flash-to-HTML5 conversion tool to support Apple's iOS

Adobe's newly released "Wallaby" application aims to expand support for Apple's line of iOS devices, including the iPhone and iPad, by converting Flash files into HTML5.

7. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

True. Flash banners always delay my browser load times. It's was useful once upon a time. Now I think developers are moving toward Apple friendly code like HTML 5.

I build my own site, although not a developer, and I made the mistake of using a Flash video player because it hosts several videos that allow the user to click and play. But of course, I have an iPad and iPhone as do many others. And I want people to be able to access it on the go. So I'm in the process of getting rid of all Flash on my site.

8. Lonectzn macrumors member

It's a big deal for me, unable to access some websites i use often because Apple have a flash complex. So, I fall back on my increasingly indispensable android mobile.

I do like the android solution... Flash is optional. Doesn't load by default on newer versions, but you can just click whatever content you want to see for it to load. Flash is slow, but there's a lot to be said for actually having the choice.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Then fine, that's your situation. Those sites should be more open to non-Flash browsers and devices. Shame on them for not providing an alternative.

Choice shouldn't be the final solution. Websites built in standards like HTML and not with proprietary front-ends like Flash is the only solution.

10. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I would love to have flash and thought about the xoom.
    The issue I have I invested quiet some $$$ in my itunes already and love my apps ..........I guess coming from iphones since day 1 it's hard to change for me. Anyone using Cloud browser ?