think the iphone will ever fall off like blackberry did?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Jun 16, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

i had both phones for pretty much the same reasons, dependable, one of the better battery lives among other similar phones, easy to use, solid OS (at least all my BB's did) oh and also the apples customer service is awesome. i especially love the fact that if you damage your phone out of warranty they still will replace it with a refurbished on for like $200....anywhere else you would be paying full retail. this is an example where good customer service keeps customers. that really does play a role in my decision not to try out my other options

do you ever think the iphone will become irrelevant? to be honest my biggest gripes are no external memory or even be able to use it as a flash drive....but i will sacrifice those for the beautiful screen, battery life, and smooth iOS. but if other phones start improving in those categories i see myself going for a different phone. i plan to get the iphone 5, the galaxy s3 looks beautiful and i love the screen size, but i'd rather just stick to what i know. i think i would have gotten the razr maxx by now, but every android i've played with (maybe it's just me) just doesn't seem to have a smooth OS from what i am used to. also, idk about the newer androids, but the ones i played with in the passed, whenever i'd look at the screen i felt like i was looking at an old flip phone. the clarity was awful. i'm JB'd mainly just for QR texting and NC/SBSettings...i hope those at least are in the next iphone

anyways back to the topic, will the iphone stay relevant? can a company be on top forever?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If Apple fails to innovate and just relies on past success, like RIM did, then, yes, the iPhone can go the way of the BB.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes

I've been around long enough to see industry standards fall off. I watched Apple's near death experience and their rise from the ashes like a phoenix.

In the end though immortality is the stuff of legend and no company is going to be able to ride the wave forever.

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

No, that's why Steve Jobs started Apple University.

And also the best minds and engineers of our time are on Apple payroll.

Innovation is one of their core principles. They are the last people who I see fallin off. No other business is run like them with such an awereness for what people want.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Apple was at death's door once, and it could easily happen again if Apple falls asleep at the wheel.

Apple though is very smart, and their halo effect is better than anyone elses which just continues to fuel demand for Apple producs

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

That was a long time ago in a different world and a different philosophy.

I mean competitors can't even replicate what Apple does when they are shown how to do it.

It has nothing to do with technology.

It is literally the epitome of understanding and delivering consumer demand.

From a business standpoint, it is one of the most powerfull paradigms in the history of buying and selling.

That "HERE TAKE MY MONEY" meme says it all.

You can't possibly understand the genius of it until you own your own business and directly try to solve the mystery of "the consumer."

When you enter that mind state is when you can understand the power of the Apple brand and how it communicates to the masses.

Remember in the 90s how dominant Microsoft was and how uphill of a climb it was? Now imagine that in the few short years of the post unibody Mac/iPhone era, the potency of the modern system has achieved something that in the 90s seemed unachievable.

The modern system swallows everything whole.

There is nothing like it past, present, or foreseeable future.

Competitors can't even copy Apple properly yet, even as they are shown obviously what to do, let alone innovate in ways that can compete or trump the Apple system.

Using anything besides apple laptops and phones these days is akin to shopping for your clothes at Wal Mart.

It will never be like or can never be like Blackberry. Apple has enough money to do anything better than anyone and is usually the one pushing things forward.

I can't imagine a scenario where they wouldn't be leaps ahead for decades to come, let alone not be able to match competitor tech.

7. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

iPhone will stay on top for a long, LONG time. Every year they make updates to hardware and software that expand their grip on the smartphone market.

Forever though? Nothing lasts forever.

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I have to agree.

9. irDigital0l Guest

Yes.

Apple needs to innovate the next iPhone and iOS. Also support older devices more so other's like Google and Microsoft don't call iOS fragmented.

It'll be interesting in the next couple years to see what Apple does.

10. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

They very well could. You have several groups of people though. You have the hardcore Apple fans who will buy the iPhone no matter what. Apple could come out with an iPhone that had a 2 inch black and white screen with 2G and these guys would still lineup to buy it insisting that no one needs larger color screens or a faster connection. Then you have the people who have owned iPhones and may currently own one who are a bit underwhelmed with them and ios. They are the ones who are starting to look at high end Android phones and many are switching over. Then you have the people who don't care about the OS a phone runs, they just want something that works well and thats cheap. Thats where Android is cashing in and thats why you are seeing 900k activations a day on Android devices. Apple has already lost control of the marketshare and it keeps slipping.

IMO, what Apple needs to do is get back to innovating rather than cherry picking features Android phones have had for years and trying to pass them off as new. When was the last time Apple came up with something unique on the iPhone? 2007? Don't say Siri because Android has had voice action and even personal assistant apps with speech recognition long before Siri. If Apple is not careful and they do not stay with the times with larger displays, better tech like 4G and whatever is coming next etc...they could very well end up like RIM.

11. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

For iPhone to fall off, Apple has to fall off. Otherwise, no gimmicks Google has can be compelling enough to get people to break the iCloud ecosystem.

A phone doesn't just have to be as good as iPhone, which none are, but it has to be groundbreakingly better. Like a game-changing tech and invention of unparalleled simplicity and usefulness.

Like mind control or something.

Otherwise nobody would care enough to switch from iCloud.

The oddball neo-nerd here and there who is overly vocal online doesn't count against the millions of masses of general consumers.

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This statement is ironic for 2 reasons. 1) Walmart sells iPhones and iPads. 2) I see all sorts of people shopping in Walmart using iPhones.

Apple products especially the iPhone isn't really some sort of status symbol anymore. It's a mass market commodity not a whole lot different then any other consumer electronics product on the market.

If it makes you feel wealthy and sophisticated... great... but most people don't even notice anymore.

13. irDigital0l Guest

I found your post quite amusing. First of all, are you saying Google doesn't have gimmicks? Not sure if your defending Google here or what, but judging from you post, LOL its quite obvious your not. And second of all Google and Microsoft will continue to improve their Cloud service. Apple is there example, what Apple needs to do is continue to be that example.

I like my iPhone, but none being better than it is subjective and debatable. Apple is really just playing catch up now while trying to innovate. I mean finally in iOS 6 we get turn by turn directions and my iPhone 4 won't even support it :rolleyes:. But Apple did show the new MacBook Pro among other things. Hopefully they'll redefine the iPhone this year.

Kinda like Apple. :D

I honestly don't think the vast majority of iPhone users fully use/understand iCloud. A very good and large chunk, but not everyone. Although Apple does have a tight ecosystem that is the best best when it comes to iCloud.

Umm ok? Sounds like you were referencing me (probably were). I honestly don't know what to reply, you sound like the guy that can't handle a tiny bit of criticism so I just won't say anything.

14. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

After seeing what iOS 6 is offering, yes it is very possible.

15. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

As long as Apple has people like you, it can't fail. Ironic that you brought up mind control.

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

They once said the Titanic was unsinkable. Just sayin'.

Nobody stays on top forever. With Steve Jobs gone, who knows what will happen in five year's time? It is easy to say "NO" now. I remember when Microsoft was the biggest company in the world over a decade ago. Or remember how much bigger Sony was vs Apple just ten years ago? Now Sony is playing catch up to Samsung, a rival they once dominated against.

I just don't see innovation in software anymore from any competitor. You can see iOS has pretty much looked the same for the last five years. You open an app, you close it. There is a few more extra steps to close apps compared to webOS with just a swipe up. Then Windows Phone has beat iOS in a few things like viewing my contacts, Twitter, and FB all in one tile instead of opening an app individually. And of course the live tiles which makes the interface non-static like iOS. But even all that gets boring too.

Apple is relying too much on many app developers' own work.

17. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Marking (too many beers). This is one of the best topics for debate I've seen in some time :D.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

When the haters leave MacRumors, that's when the iPhone will fail. ;)

19. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I don't think Blackberry have failed. They had a spell of fashion but they are very good for business people still.

The Iphone is well established. Nothing from Android matches it they can go 6", 7", 8" screen but it won't be better.

Bottom line is Iphone + Ipad are the best solution.

20. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

WHats your favorite sausage? apple smoked?

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

[​IMG]

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

Remember when Superman never lost? Oh wait... He lost to Batman. He was killed by Doomsday.

Remember when IBM once dominated a generation? They hold the most patents for innovation. They were BIG BROTHER. They were what Apple is today. What has IBM done lately? Remember, Apple were underdogs started out in a garage. Now they are top dogs.

To be on top and last forever and ever? Every empire crumbled like the Romans. Every dynasty crumbled like the Ming. And these lasted much, much longer than any company dominating in the tech world.

The fanboy in some of us hopes and dreams for our idols to be on top for a long time like a little child wanting to believe in Santa Claus. Too bad Apple's most charismatic Santa Claus is gone. It is like asking for eternal life when we all know we are on just borrowed time like Steve was. Temporary. Tech works that way. Same in sports when an athlete starts to decline.

Forever and ever? Nah. Forseeable future? Maybe.

23. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

There is a river in Egypt you may like. It's called "Dee-Nile"

By the way, you should buy a lot of stock in RIM. I'm sure you will do very well with it.

24. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I lold at this

25. SoGood macrumors 6502

SoGood

My worry lies with the next generation of executive team after Tim Cook.