Think the next iPhones battery will last longer than the 4/4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, May 26, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted

I'm happy with the current usage and stand by times. I get 6 hours of usage always. The reason i picked an iPhone is because it's one of the best smartphones for battery life

2. Sangdushi macrumors regular

I really hope it does. If not, I will be severely disappointed.

3. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

How long do you need your battery to last?

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Longer than 6 hours. I'd argue at least 10 hours with heavy usage.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Most probably. Apple doesn't really go down in battery-life over generations. (There are exceptions, but those are only ~1 hr differences).

They'll either increase battery life, or add features and keep the same battery life.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If the iPhone is bigger it'll have a larger battery. Downside is a larger screen.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Really? My 4S lasts 1/2 as long as my 4 did. Maybe even less.

----------

...and LTE chip

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Taken from Apple's website:
    4S:
    # Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
    # Standby time: Up to 200 hours

4:

# Talk time: Up to 7 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
    # Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Okay, standby time is 1/3 less on 4S than 4, but talk time is one hour less on iPhone 4.

So, I guess both of us are correct :p

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Is there a current smart phone that gets 10 hours with heavy usage?

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I don't go by apples website. I go by real world use. And the 4S doesnt last nearly as long as the 4. And it's not just me. I don't think I've ever seen one person saying they get better battery life on their 4S, then they did on the 4.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Razr maxx?

My 4S used to have great battery life but over the last 2 months it has deteriorated to *****, sometimes I have to charge twice a day and only get 3-4 hours of usage on 3G before battery is almost dead (which is mostly twitter, flipboard, and texting).

I am jb on 5.0.1 but had great battery life months ago and havent dl'd any new jb tweaks (had about 8 hours usage which was heavier than now as I played gpsphone a lot more). Going to update to 5.1.1 and spend a week or a few days w/o jb and see how the battery fares and then jb and test again.

If an iPhone could handle 10 hours of moderate usage on 3G I think that'd be amazing.

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

My 4s has deplorable battery life and has since day one. I've tried every trick I know and it's awful. I almost never had my 4 drop to 20%. It would last me for almost 2 days. The 4s is dead in half a day or sometimes worse. My usage habits have not changed.

The 4s battery issue is pretty well documented, although it doesn't effect everyone. Antenna gate didn't effect me with my 4 but it did effect many people.

Anyway with LTE probability at 99% and a larger screen likely, I don't think the battery life will be getting any better. No worse, just not better. I'd imagine the minimum standard for this new phone is to pack in the new tech without cutting usage time. I just hope the experiences are consistent, because they are not with the 4s.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have to say I have not experienced any better or worse battery life in my 4s over my 4
    Both give me far more than I need

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

We likely will not see a significant change in battery life unless the footprint of the phone is significantly bigger. That is basically fact.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I say it's a lateral move in battery life.

I get a full day of usage out of my 4S. More importantly, I can get a full charge in an hour.

16. Major General macrumors member

Major General

Eversince IOS 5.1.1 i have noticed a difference, usually in the morning when i check everything I go from 100% to around 90%, oddly yesterday it took 45mins just to go from 100% to 99%

17. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I think my 4s is great, it lasts a day with heavy usage which is all I need.

I think the 5 will be the same even though it's likely to have a bigger battery due to a bigger screen. 4g will hammer battery life, perhaps a small improvement in 3G life.

18. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

The next iphone will have worse battery life. That is because the a5x chip consumes more power than the a4 or the a5 chip. Hence they had to increase the size and weight of the ipad3.

That is why I almost certain that they will use a larger screen for the new iphone so that they can increase the battery capacity too. Although a larger screen also consumes more battery.

19. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

The real hit is the constant switching/seeking between LTE and HSPA+. That will hit the battery. It [software] can be designed to limit the hit, but that's what will eat the juice.

20. 7DSniper macrumors regular

Let's all hope so, I get 2 day out of my iPhone 4 with decent use.