Think they can do it? Dems tackle gas prices

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Apr 29, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The only thing that's going to lower gas prices is if we start using less of it. Anything else is pure fantasy.

3. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Let's see, $0.184 per gallon, roughly 16 gallons per fill (for me) fill up about once a week so a 12 week break would be

$0.184*16*12 = $35.33

I'm all for helping struggling families in hard times, but a whopping $35 over the summer isn't much of a help and is purely a feel-good measure that people will think helps and reduce the government's income which is not what we need at this point. Not to mention that the lower price at the pump would only encourage people to use more gas which could very well eat up more than than the $35 they would save. If I had to fill up my tank one extra time in the summer, because I was driving more due to "cheaper" gas, it wipes out the savings.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Another item under consideration for Reid's bill is a demand that the Bush administration put pressure on Saudi Arabia and other OPEC-member nations to increase oil supplies and bring down prices. Several Democrats last week warned that Congress will block military sales to those countries unless they open up the spigots."

I'd bet that we need their oil more than they need more of our war toys.

Ugg is spot-on correct, although I'd add, "Produce more of it." The oil boys are trying, but not increasing the total output worth talking about.

The idea of Congress "doing something" in any meaningful fashion is as hilariously silly as anything that bunch has come up with in eons. It's just election-year posturing to give the illusion that they can somehow effect a big change in the marketplace. Odds are that they'll just make things worse.

For instance, a free lunch for a while on the federal gas tax could readily mean less road maintenance. So you bust a $100 tire or a shock absorber in a chug-hole; you think you're ahead by saving atzyman's $35? Me, I don't think so...

'Rat

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Alot of people use that excuse for not having a gas tax holiday (which I guess is kind of pointless). To be honest though, where I live (SE PA), the roads are all in pretty terrible shape. I really dont think too many of my tax dollars are being used for their maintenance.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think Gas company should take a hit...cut those profits down a little.

Clearly thats not gonna happen, and I feel like taxing them will lead to higher price. Ugg, stupid big bussiness! I wouldn't mind OPEC opening up some new wells, but its such a short term solution.

Time to ramp up the switch from oil to alternative energy.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, they can't do it. The government doesn't control the price of crude oil, investors do. As that rises, gas prices go up with it. We need something new, but nobody seems willing to get that started. Now it's gonna be a very rough transition to new fuels as it's already pretty late in the game.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Dropping the taxes for gasoline is as helpful as inner cities trying to cut down on drug use by offering free crack pipes and needles.

Not only does it not help with the addiction, it'll create funding problems elsewhere.

---

These taxes are needed, it is a gesture that is a poor choice when roads and bridges are in serious need of repair.

Or did they forget about the last round of dangerous bridges being blasted across the airwaves when a bridge fell.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

None of them will do anything about gas prices, and they shouldn't pretend they will until they actually do. We know what not to do, we know we should be investing in better alternatives and should have been for much longer than we have, but the damage is done, and until someone actually does something, nothing will change. It's a good election cycle meme though. McCain's plan is ridiculous for so many reasons I don't know why it's even treated legitimately. The Dems variants are stupid too. Giving little more than making people feel better. Kinda like the tax rebates. This isn't the way to do this folks.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

zap2, would you have been willing to cut slack back when oil prices were in the toilet and the oil companies were losers? 1985, the serious profits were in companies like McDonaldburgers.

You reckon folks who bought gold at $400/oz oughta be forced to sell at $500 instead of $850 or $900?

If you contract to buy an ongoing supply at some price over the coming year, and the market price goes up during that year, your profits go up. That's what's happened to the oil companies. However, if prices go down during the year, they're then paying above-market--and profits drop. That's been a repetitive pattern in the "awl bidness" for many a decade.

And with the cost of just one deepwater offshore platform running right at a billion dollars, they need the profits to continue exploration and development. Those profits are what enable Exxon's plan to invest $25 billion just in 2008, and $125 billion over this current five-year span.

But, hey, tax 'em; who needs oil?

'Rat

11. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

As a civil engineer who sees the condition of the infastructure that the gas tax helps maintain I would hate to see this tax given a holiday.

It seems the American Society of Civil Engineers is in agreement. Link

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

@ desertrat, the UK government has had windfall taxes on the oil companies before with few ill-effects. They could be taxed say $1 billion with few effects.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

There's one way we can cut gas prices substantially: reduce the number of "boutique" gasoline mixes to only a small number. That will guarantee that gasoline can be shipped anywhere in the USA from any refinery, meaning gasoline refined in Texas and Louisiana can be sold in California.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That would certainly help.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Eraserhead, I fail to see why oil companies should be targeted for any "extra" taxation. I never have understood the reasoning, other than envy and jealousy. The long-term average percentage returns on investment for oil companies is nowhere near as good as for many other companies.

I tend to favor companies where there is need, as opposed to those which are more in the luxury category. McDonald's, e.g., or Starbucks.

Google is returning about 18%, compared to Exxon's 7%. Which is more important to one's daily life?

'Rat

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agreed.

As someone who lives in Japan, US gas prices are still cheap compared to here. I would love to pay US gas prices. :)

FWIW, gas prices have been reduced for the holiday period (Golden Week) to around $4.50 per gallon. The lines are long with driver's trying to take advantage of the reduced prices. After the holidays, the price will go back up and the lines back down.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The oil companies. Apple's are nice and all, but I don't need to put any Macs in my car to get to work. I don't care what other companies are making, more or less money. There are other companies out there hurting right now, some even losing money, if we want to go there. But this is about the oil industry. I just don't get the defense of them. If Almost $11 billion is not enough while we're all paying as much as we are, again even high adjusted for inflation and for those in other countries you have taxes that you get more out of than we do from ours, than I don't know what to tell you.

And for those wondering why there aren't more refineries:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/05/news/economy/refining_investments/index.htm
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3228407
    http://niemanwatchdog.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=background.view&backgroundid=00246
    http://thegooddemocrat.wordpress.com/2007/07/22/the-real-reason-gas-prices-are-so-high/

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So what? They are both big companies who should pay their fair share of the taxation. The UK regularly taxes the oil companies for extra revenue, hell in many parts of the world all the profits from oil are taxed to pay for the government.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We hate taxes here because we don't get much for them, and think gov can't work because the people telling you that the gov doesn't work go out of their way to prove it.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We hate taxes too, it seems the only country in the world to like taxes are the Swiss who vote for increased taxes in referendum.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Must be all the chocolate.

But no, nobody hates taxes like the Americans. If it was an Olympic sport, we'd be Gold, Silver, and Bronze every time. We really, really hate taxes, I guess, is the point I'm trying to make.

24. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki