Think your mad now, see what happens in 6 months or so.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lamarak, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I really think that this release was just because they needed something. I think like they did with the Ipad a while ago, they are going to release sooner than later a bigger screen phone. I think this was a panic release and would not surprise me one bit we see a larger iphone in 6 to 8 months.

I just dont see this release lasting a full year till a new phone. I know its thier pattern but have shown in the past breaking past behavior.

Do you think that Apple would do something like this?

2. F4FFF macrumors newbie

no

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

How is this a panic release? If anything a larger screen iPhone would have been a panic release (in response to the phablets).

If anything Apple is calm and collected, knowing that the 5S / 5C will continue to dominate mobile profits and everyone else will be fighting for 2nd place.

4. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

Good points. I guess just got took in the hype of reading of them testing the bigger screens. Im still kinda mad at how they released new Ipads so soon after a release a few years ago. It does show they are willing to break a cycle.

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I love how the comedic term 'phablet' is now commonly used in a serious sense.

"whats that in my back pocket making it look like I have one rectangular bum cheek? Oh thats just my phablet!" :D

6. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Just having the below upgrades is telling me, NO, to your question OP. Its a nice upgrade, better in some area's over the other manufacture smartphones. As always, the S models have been just some needed upgrades and the major releases will be the iphone 6. Apple has nothing to worry about. Just look at last years sales. Now wait for this one as well before the nay sayers post these dooms day posts...

A7 Processor 64-bit

New M7 chip..Health and fitness applications

Upgraded Camera f/2.2 15% larger sensor area

Touch ID fingerPrint sensor with 360 degrees orientation

Dual LED flash for different light tones one can chose

Burst Mode. Up to 10 frames Per Second & Slow motion Mode as well

Least we mention, the iOS 7. Many like it over the Android OS

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Apple will probably have a bigger iPhone at least as an option next year. There is no great push to do it in six months because of the carrier contract cycle for iPhones.

Apple is missing out on a lot of new customers buying smart phones for the first time who opt for a bigger screen and some customers actually switch. But IMO Apple will take their time and make a bigger screened phone the right way.

8. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

No.

The iPad 4 was updated so soon after the iPad 3 so they could bring the update cycle in line with the fall. It makes more sense that way.

Previously, iPads got updated in the spring with 6 month old technology from the previous iPhone. Now the iPads will get the latest and greatest only a month after the iPhone.

There's no reason to shorten the iPhone 5S's cycle, other than fanboys hoping that Apple will fulfill their wildest fantasies.

9. Dontazemebro, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I agree with your premise but what do you mean by done the right way? Cause this would entail that all the other major players in the market are doing it wrong.

How many ways can you do a larger screen?

Personally, I think apple knows it's time to release a larger screen but they won't bring anything to market while they can still milk the cash cows out in the pasture.

10. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

same questions are asked year on year... and the answer is no... apple wont release a new phone till next september.

for one, most contracts are 12-24 months, so they wouldn't sell... only to die hard fans.

11. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

Just to jump in here... The right way example is best illustrated with the Samsung gear watch thingy. Yes they won the race to market, but Apple will release a better implementation of the concept in their timeframe. Not that Samsung's implementation was wrong, just judging from the tech blogs it wasn't very well received.

12. Kram1975 macrumors member

I predict next iPhone in July. I know it's always been September but I think the pressure is on a little Apple's stock is down 8% since the announcement. Nothing excites stock holders and the public like iPhone. The pressure is on for sure to

Increase screen size
    Increase battery life
    NFC
    128gb
    802.11ac

In a bigger sized phone these should be simple.

13. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

People said there will not be a new iPad for 1 year after the iPad 3rd gen. Everyone was wrong. So will there be the iPhone 6 in 6 months or 1 year? No one knows.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think its feasible though probably unlikely considering the amount of preparation Apple would have to go through to bring a larger screened iPhone to market.

If they did introduce a larger screened model, I think it would be alongside the recently announced offerings--and not as a replacement. It wouldn't necessarily have more advanced features either--just another option.

It always perplexes me when people think that Apple will never, ever deviate from its past release patterns--even though Apple has done just that a number of times.

15. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

No sir.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

A panic release. Remember the people who said Apple had to release a netbook because every other computer maker was? Instead Apple created the MacBook Air and iPad, and now nobody sells netbooks.

17. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Sure but phone purchases are on cycles typically dictated by contracts. Every other year has a design change and the other years minor bumps to the design change. Releasing on a shorter time span I don't think would make economic sense for them... specifically due to contracts.

Anyways, the S release seems on par with the previous 2 S releases.

18. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

I actually do very much agree with this. So much so that I sold my 5 and just bought a Moto X. I needed a bigger screen and the Moto X really fit the bill. But just look at apples stock right now.....If the new iphone had a bigger screen the stock would be through the roof. I'm not saying huge screen but just bigger. Consumers are demanding it and it will happen. I truly believe that before next summer we have the iPhone 6 and it will have a bigger screen. Not a matter of if anymore but when.

19. infernohellion macrumors 6502

For me,

(1) the price point of iPhone 5c has shown that Apple is still selectively going after the upper market. As long as they're still maintaining a very high market share for the top 30% market, then it's okay.

(2) the Galaxy Note sales have also shown that there is a market for a phone with a big screen at a higher price point.

So it's only a matter of time until Apple releases the new larger screen iPhone. It will happen. Just when?

20. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

ipads for 1 are usually not on a contract...

no one can be 100% sure, buy id bet £100 they won't if the bookies would take my bet.

these conversations crop up every year.. trust me, its not happening.

21. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I can understand first to market but we're going on year 3 of the big screen invasions and Apple still doesn't have a larger screened iPhone in the works (officially). How much better can you implement a larger screen?

22. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I'd have been inclined to think so if they'd only released the c and not the s as well. I'm thinking it is more likely following the increase in colours and the touch sensor in an S release that we will see a longer time between the updates (like the 4 to 4S.)

23. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

You are right about them milking the cash cows :D

What I meant is Apple will take the time so their bigger iPhone is done right. They won't allow the market to rush them and make something half-baked. It was not a statement on the quality of Samsung et. al.

24. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I see your reasoning. But I'm not willing to say 100% either way. It might or might not happen. But I think not happening is more plausible because they'd want the 5S/C to last for a year at least.