thinking about a classic macbook pro (early/late 2008) – go get it!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by icanboogie, Mar 31, 2009.

1. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

I just want to share my experience with my newly bought mbp 17" 2.5 penryn: it is a classy machine and has no need to hide behind any unibody.

in fact, it beats them in many aspects!

for those thinking about buying one of the classic macbook pros, I can only repeat: go get it, they are awesome computers!

1. the price.
    you still get very good deals e.g. in the refurb section on apple.com. full warranty, sometimes even completely new machines.

2. the screen.
    yes, I love the glossy screen. But NOT the new glassy gloss of the unibodys. there is a HUGE difference in these two in regard to reflectiveness. while the old glossy have a anti-reflection coating onto them, the new ones really shine like mirrors. if you watch movies for example, this can be very disturbing.

oh, and for those of you who cry for matte, this is where you get it. (besides the new 17 unibody) I don't like it that much, it looks fuzzy to me.

3. the sound.

the speakers on the old mbps are better, especially on the old 17 ": this is bass, and this is stereo. period.

4. the look.
    I like the classic look. all silver, very nice.

5. the keys.

the new keys are nice as well, but the old ones make fast typing smoother and more silent. and the light does not shine from below as disturbing as from the new keys.

6. the rest:
    RAM is cheaper to upgrade
    battery on the 17" is replaceable
    DVI connection without any adapter
    Firewire for those who need it
    etc...

I like the new unibody feel, too. I have a new mb 2,4 which is a great little machine - but it has no chance against the mbp 2.5 17".

the aluminium on those new ones seems quite soft, and they get scratched very easily. the trackpad of the new ones feels nice, but does not offer any real advantage to me. I dont use the big space, it does even get in my way easier when I type.
    the graphic cards seem to have the same solder problems, so it doesn't really make a big difference. you have a 2 year guarantee for the old ones, though, and a on-board graphic in reserve on the new ones.
    the latch button needs to be pressed to open the screen, but that is ok. someone wrote here before: " if you press that button, you know something magical will happen" exactly!

Anyway, if you think about getting an 'old' model, do not hesitate. they are nice machines and are not outperformed by the new ones, not at all.

To me, they feel more like real :apple:

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I think that's always going to be the case - the old and familiar seeming more like the real thing we remember. Heck in two notebok iterations, the uni's will feel old school.

That said, I couldn't agree more on the value of the "old" MBPs. There are a lot of happy users out there who up picked one up at the refurb store for dirt cheap (and have matte screens, sigh.).

3. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Interesting thread here, it will be nice to see what the Uni Macbook pro users will say!

4. icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

..maybe unibody mbp users have no possibility to read this thread, because the sun came out today (at least in germany), and they do not see anything on their screens....:p just kidding.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I received my first ever macbook pro exactly one year ago and its still screaming fast :) I love it :)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What can they say? Some of it is true, while some of it is purely opinion. ;)

If I was looking for a laptop right now, I'd consider a refurb of one of the older models. Why not? They have the refurb 17" MBPs with the high-resolution LED backlit screen option, and with a 2.5 GHz processor. That's the previous version, but the processor is certainly still fast compared to today's machines. Also, I like the look of the old machines.

Then again, I'd probably get a new machine if only because of the new long-life battery.

7. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

i had a al macbook and it was just too glossy. I have a window behind me and it was just unusable the old whitebook was fine i could do work. I since sold the macbook and got a new last gen matte mbp for less than i sold the macbook for. The only problem is the bad gpu

8. icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

I've read that the 9600 in the unis has the same problems like the 8600M. if that is so, it really doesn t make a big difference to me.
    the new machines do have the fallback solution of the onboard graphic 9400, though, but that cannot be the solution I think.

I feel pretty comfortable with the extended guarantee.

What I don't know is if Apple Care would help me anything in this regard. I don't want to spend 350 Euro for the possibility to make phone calls to support.....:confused:

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I would buy an early 08 MBP without AppleCare...thats just suicide

10. dentedG4 macrumors member

Assuming you meant "wouldn't", I bought an early 2008 MBP without applecare but plan on investing in it before the stock 1 year warranty is up. I just couldnt afford to drop another 350 at the time of purchase. :rolleyes:

I've noticed some people getting applecare on the cheap from ebay. I'll have to look into that.

11. icanboogie thread starter macrumors regular

icanboogie

that's what I have in mind, too - but I still have to look into the real benefits the ACPP offers: is it really worth it, or is it just 'ease/calming of mind'?

I mean, what could break, that would be covered by ACPP?

My worries are that they have everything that might really break excluded from the guarantee in their legal disclaimers....

IF anyone could share their experiences with ACPP, I would be thankful!

12. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

That I can only speak for myself and I don't need to hate on the old design in order to love my newer design?

13. knuckleball macrumors newbie

knuckleball

Last October, my MacBook Pro, purchased in July of '07, suddenly stopped working completely. Wouldn't even turn on. I took it to the local Mac service centre (not an Apple store, an independent shop) and, as it turned out, the logic board had died.

What would've been a $1200 repair was covered completely by AppleCare, no questions asked. I was very impressed and wouldn't think twice about buying AppleCare for my major Apple products.