Thinking about doing a full polish on my black iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mellofello, Sep 24, 2012.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

My phone already has 3 decent scratches on it. It's not the end of the world but I'm thinking about just cutting to the chase and taking all the black off. I think it will look like a homage to the original iphone being raw, and black. \ Question is what is the safest way to achieve this?

I actually have access to a polishing wheel, but I think that may be overkill. Should I just start with a low grit sand paper, and see how it goes, or maybe a chemical solution? I want to achieve a brushed finish, not shiny FWIW.

Any advice from people who have worked with metal would be appreciated.

2. VMMan macrumors 6502a

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This reminds me of people using fine grit sandpaper to give the chrome border of the original iPhone the brushed aluminum look.

4. tys macrumors 6502

I've used oven cleaner, fine sandpaper, and Simichrome polish to make black anodized bicycle parts shiny and silver. Not sure I'd risk trying it on my iPhone, though.

5. VMMan macrumors 6502a

It looks like people have used Liquid Drano for the sodium hydroxide.

It looks hazardous but it seems with goggles, heavy duty gloves, and ventilation people have had luck with it.

6. PAC88 macrumors 6502

7. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

My main concern is the glass. If there wasn't the glass stripes on to i could get a lot more aggressive with sanding. I'm going to study the teardown and think about doing it disassembled.

Has anyone read if there is any indicator when the phone is opened?

8. bajaracing macrumors member

I wouldn't do it. I've done it before on 5th scale rc parts. Its messy, and best way is to dunk the entire part in the chemicals, for a few seconds, (wearing gloves) remove inspect till all the anno is gone. Then rinse a few times in distiller water, then dry clean. Polish.

Can't imagine doing this to a phone... I'd just keep a decent touch up black around.

9. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

10. close2reality macrumors 6502

So your going to take a 4 day old phone and hack it up. Would you rattle can a Bentley too?

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

It would be safer to just polish the sides, wouldn't it? Doing the back plate as well seems rather risky, due to the Apple logo, text and adjacent glass windows.

Besides, from what I understand, the sides are the main cause of concern with the black model. Or are your scratches on the back as well?

12. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

I have 2 hairline scratches on back plate, and a very visible scratch on the side. these are from the zipper of my fanny pack I use for running. I ran 200 days a year with my 4 and 4s and no issues.

I'm over it. I just think it would be nice to have a phone that stands out. I'm a very DIY kinda guy. I refuse to treat my phone gingerly, and if its going to scratch then so be it.

If I had a Bentley it would probably look like this

[​IMG]

So yes I probably would

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

14. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

You should have bought the white one......the back is already silver.

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If you end up doing this, post pictures. I think it could be rather cool, though I'm not brave enough to try something like that on my $900 phone.

16. JrJ 15 macrumors member

The best way to do it would probably be to gut the phone so you can just buff/ dip just the aluminum. I think that it would look sweet polished to a mirror finish, IMO.

17. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

18. UFBoy2323 macrumors member

19. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

The black iPhone 5 would look slick with silver. I wish they had done it that way actually. I would have gone with black then. Although that would have been a shame because I really love the white now. Still, Black with silver... it's worked since 2007, I dunno why they changed it.

20. vistadude macrumors 65816

How about just wait a month or two and buy a new backplate for it? They will sell lots of colors.

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Not a bad idea, except it would make the phone too thick.. :)

22. cynerjist macrumors regular

Lmao on the first bit. That Bentley is killer, tho

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think there are some indicators, but by sanding the case you probably are voiding the warranty anyway so to avoid damage to the glass it might be best to do it with the phone apart if you are comfortable opening it.

24. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Not very concerned about the warranty. We shall see if I get bored/brave enough.

25. acttspel macrumors newbie

please do this and post results. im thinking of doing something similar. i dont like the texture of the back