Thinking about getting 5C - Critique My Logic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

I am a 4S owner, I got the phone two years ago. Home button is no longer working well, would like to upgrade...

I am thinking about the 5C (32G) over the 5S for a few reasons

1. I think the 5/5S is too light. The 5C appears heavier, closer to the 4S weight (I realize it will be less dense)

2. I have had white glass/metal iPhones (4/4S) for a while. Would like something different, and the black/champagne colors don't grab me. I'm thinking yellow or blue for this 5C with a black case.

3. I would like to upgrade to the 6 when it comes out. I don't think they will upgrade the 5C next year, so I should get a good resale price for it. I will likely buy the 6 off contract.

4. I don't really need the fingerprint sensor. The A7 / M7 chips are nice, but not really necessary for what I do. The 5/5C will run fast for 2-3 years.

5. I will get the latest iPad, so I will have Apple's latest mobile tech in that device.

The debate is that will the phone be seen as the "cheap" or "kids" phone when I bring it out for use.

2. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's really up to you. No need to get confirmation from others online, unless you really value our opinion.

Personally, the 5S blows the 5C out of the water at everything. Getting a 5C never crossed my mind.

4. Kendo, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm getting a 5S simply because AT&T's early upgrade fee is $450. I sign a 2 year contract with 5S and buy phone for $199, sell it in a year for $400, and get new phone for $50 more. $50 more to get back on the non-s cycle.

People always use this excuse whenever the latest processor comes out. It is simply not true.

The iPhone 4 feels like a turtle after 3 years, and the 4S feels slow after 2. Both were considered amazingly powerful when they came out and people at the time of their release also said "this will serve my needs for the next 2 or 3 years."

If you get a 5c now, you're already a year behind in terms of processor speed with the A6. iOS and apps outgrew the 4 speed and the 4s speed. Just because the A6 is still zippy doesn't mean it will remain that way next year.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

We worked this way:

My Fiancees' 4S wasn't really going to cut IOS7, so we thought we'd stick...her on IOS6 and me with my 5 taken up to 7.

Things have changed...

Have bought my Fiancee a 5C in Pink, and will be ordering my 5S on Friday...why? becuse O2 are offering £170 for the 4S..and I have the 5 up for sale...won't be any probelm selling it.

So I guess if I'd waited a year, the 4S would be worth 0 and my 5 might get a couple of hundred. Time and economics..:)

6. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Resale value. The 5S will sell for more so you can better fund your iPhone 6.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Ultimately it's up to you but I wouldn't use that phone if it was free on contract.

8. wellingtonwimpy macrumors member

I bought a closeout iPhone 5 last night, and while it felt light and small out of the box, once I put the case on it was the perfect weight and fit. It feels about the same as my old iPhone 4 did without a case.

To each his own. Moving on.

I think this is a bad bet. Perception matters all the more when people are buying something used. iPhones have always had a much better resale value than Androids, and I have to think the superior build of the iPhone (compared to the Galaxy, which has always been plastic) has a lot to do with that. The 5C is weird in that it seems almost deliberately designed to look cheap, even though the specs are really quite good. I would be willing to bet that the technically obsolete iPhone 5 ends up having a more durable resale value than the 5C.

Agreed. This is why I decided to get an iPhone 5 on discount. The fingerprint sensor is a gimmick that seems to invite more problems than it solves (which is none), and the A6 processor is already quite quick – faster than most other smartphones on the market. If you mostly just e-mail and check Facebook/Twitter, you would probably barely notice the difference. However, there will be some camera and photo-processing features on the 5S that can't be supported on an A6 phone, so mull that over if the camera is important to you. It was my one hesitation.

Yep. I'm with those who think the 5C looks like it should come with a matching Hello Kitty backpack. But again, to each his own.

9. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I'm in a similar boat coming from the 4S. I am wondering if I will even notice lack of A7/M7 since I don't really play games on my phone. Except for Candy Crush. And I'd like to stop playing it. But I can't. lol.

If the 5C came in black, I'd be all over it. The white back comes w/ a black front, which I don't really like but easily fixed w/ a black case. I'm not into the different colors though. I think I'm just going to wait until the hype dies down a bit and then go to the store to play with them and decide which one I like. Actually, I do kinda like the blue one. Hmmmm.

I don't really think anyone will care about it looking "cheap" or for "kids" any more than the "does the white one look girly" thing. At least any adult out there shouldn't. And if my kid complained about it, then you know what....you're not getting one. lol. Basically, it's an iPhone. People know it's not a "cheap" phone. Just my opinion.

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Who cares what people are thinking. If they are judging you by your phone, screw them. :mad:

Also, you'll have it in a black case, so it won't be that obvious anyway.

As for me, I'll be getting the 5S. The 5C is just too cheap of a kid's phone. ;)

11. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

As I mentioned in other threads, I am 32 and could care less what people think of my phone. If my 7 year old daughter put Hello Kitty stickers on it id still use it. I am married with two children. I am not trying to impress anyone with my phone. Get it if you want! It will be a great phone. I got my wife the 5c and I am debating between the S and C for me.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I don't think anybody will think you have a cheap or kid phone.

13. xVeinx macrumors 6502

When your purchase of something is based on whether or not someone else feels it's cool, it's time to reevaluate your priorities a bit. I completely understand it and have done it (plenty of times), but find it is a life-draining cycle. The iphone 5C will be a solid performer for the next 2-3 years. If you like it, get it (all things being equal). The 5S has some nice features, but none that are 'necessary.' Either way, enjoy :).

14. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

If you like the phone get it, not sure why this is such a dilemma.

15. Gala macrumors regular

Someone mentioned it above but I always take a resale value approach. I never get things engraved and I always upgrade to the top end phone and then sell it in 2 years for minimum $200 for another upgrade. I don't know how much you could get for a 5c 2 years later but I don't think it'd be a lot and because of the colors you limit your potential buyers.