Thinking about giving up unlimited data w/ Verizon. Are we crazy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by largefarrva, Sep 12, 2013.

1. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Title says it all. My wife and I each got the iPhone 5 last year when it came out. Well, we weren't eligible to upgrade yet since we switched from AT&T to Verizon when Verizon first got the iPhone. So we bought out phones full price and were also able to keep our unlimited data plan.

Fast forward to now, we use maybe 1.25-1.5 gigs of data per month. So we're actually overpaying...but until now we've kept on over paying so we can keep the unlimited as kind of a "screw you" to Verizon for not allowing us to upgrade a month or so early. But really...who's getting screwed here? lol

So, with the 5S coming out next week we're pondering getting it, but we don't want to pay full price again. $1500 is a lot of money by any standards (we'd both get 32gb versions), especially since I switched jobs and took a pay cut last December (blessing in disguise...no more traveling and my work is now only 15 minutes away).

So....should we hold onto the unlimited data as long as we can, or are we wasting money and should make the switch? What do you guys think?

2. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

I'm in the same boat. Well, at least the same ocean.

I've had unlimited data from VZW for years now and don't want to give it up. I've got a 4 now, so I'm only on 3G. I'm using anywhere from 2.5 to 4.5 gigs now. I know the usage will go up on 4G, so gotta keep that unlimited data. Looks like I'm buying off contract full price.

If you've been on 4G for a while and you're still in a reasonable usage, you may save money in the long term by getting a subsidized phone and a data plan with limits. It's like that unknown though... what if your usage suddenly goes up on a regular basis? You'd be kicking yourself.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I firmly vote on keeping unlimited. That is your usage now but who knows what tech the next year or two will bring. How much savings are you looking at by switching to shared? Honestly if they would do the Max promotion on Family Shared plans I'd probably switch too.

But if your going to give it up I'd wait for the 6. 5s isn't even close to enough for me to switch from unlimited when you already have a 5, not nearly enough incentive.

4. dkersten macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure I'm moving to AT&T from Verizon's unlimited plan. I've been monitoring my usage carefully and think switching to AT&T is the right choice. I'm sick of Verizon always not getting the best phones or getting them later than everyone else, especially the Nexus devices. I think I'll buy the iPhone on contract and then buy the Nexus off contract and switch between each.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Shared seems to be kind of working for my family if we all have enough access to wifi. iPhone 5, 4S, iPad 4th gen, and until recently an older 3G android (another 4S this week; brother's phone died and I don't think they knew about Tuesday) as well as a dumb phone. We have 6gb between all of those. I think we went over one month when I was using my phone for tethering tv shows since I didn't have Internet or cable for a while (poor college kid).

If you're only using that much on LTE now I don't see why you couldn't switch to a limited plan of 4gb. Maybe. 6gb just to be safe.

6. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

If you are using less than the tiers they have now then you really are wasting your money. By not upgrading you are paying for a subsidy you aren't getting (remember plans have this built in and prices don't change once you are off contract).

It doesn't make sense unless you use so much data that the plans they offer would cost you considerably more.

7. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

I switched and saved $90 a month for my family. We have the 10 gb plan becaue we have Internet in the house and at work.

8. cnotes2019 macrumors 65816

If you want to give up your unlimited plan at least sell them off to someone who may want them. You can sell them on eBay or howardforums marketplace.

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

if you are overpaying it's only because you are paying for texts or too many minutes. I pay $70 per month for unlimited data and 450 minutes and zero texts. I send thousands of texts for free every month via google voice and only use 100-200 minutes per month. There is NO need for the ripoff shared data plan's minimum of $100/month.

10. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

If your usage habits ever change (e.g. you start streaming music while driving) your data usage can skyrocket over night.

Personally I love having AT&T unlimited.

11. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i just bought a used iPhone 5 64GB for $528 on eBay just for the sole purpose of keeping unlimited data and now getting LTE speeds (i had an iPhone 4S).

verizon has been intentionally slowing down their 3G networks either through actual forced slow downs or by not increasing and upgrading throughput to keep up with the additional smartphone users. either way, i've seen my 3G speeds go from ~ 2-2.5Mbps down to no more than 0.75Mbps. upload speeds forget it..i'm getting in the 0.2's. it's pathetic. they are trying to get people to LTE, fine. but the ulterior motive is to get them off unlimited data and onto LTE tiered where they make even more off you

i'm going to have unlimited LTE with Verizon so i hope they are prepared to get rocked out of the boat with me. i used 6-10GB on 3G...they are in for one hell of a rude awakening when i activate my iPhone 5 on Monday