Thinking about going caseless for iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiderman0616, Sep 14, 2012.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Read a Cult of Mac article the other day that basically explained why the iPhone 5 is the first iPhone to not really need a case because the back is so durable. But from what I can tell, you still have that metallic shiny Apple logo on the back that looks like garbage once it gets all scratched up.

I'm very very picky about keeping my gadgets nice, but I'd really love to go caseless without worry. Anyone having the same dilemma?

2. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    I drop my phone at least twice a year. A case is a must have, mainly to preserve resale value. If I didn't care about reselling, I'd go rawdog.

3. iphonenub macrumors regular

Never had a case never will. My 3G looks grear minus some hair line scratches on the plastic. My 4S looks brand new. Never dropped, never will be.

4. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

And let's not forget, durable or no, there is still glass on the front and back of the iPhone. But I hate covering up my iPhone. Still, when I dropped my 4S earlier this year and totally shattered the back of it, I realized a case is just good common sense.

5. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I've always used some sort of case ever since the original, but the 5 might be the first I allow to go nude in my pocket. I ordered a Case-Mate Tough just for the heck of it. (I'm assuming that Case-Mate's crappy, error-prone order system processed my order correctly this morning. No confirmation, but still charged.) I'll see how the case looks and fits, but I'm leaning toward going without.

6. jargon51 macrumors 6502

I really want to my only concern is all the lint getting into the ports. I usually use a Waterfield design suede pouch and probably will again

7. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I went caseless with the 4s and will do so again with the 5.

I have dropped the phone 4 times this year. Once on a hard tile floor and another on concrete outside. Not a mark or scratch on it, so I have lucked out.

I had Apple Care Plus for it, but my friend shattered his phone and a shop in the local mall fixed it for $100.00. The phone looks great and acts the same. And if Apple will really replace it for $200 in a real emergency, the case is pointless!

8. MSampson macrumors member

The back looks so nice that I'd like to find just a bumper style case for better grip.

9. jargon51 macrumors 6502

Yep but then again the sides of the black model look sweet too, it would be a shame to cover them up.

10. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

My 4 has been caseless for over a year and has been carried in my front pocket occasionally with keys - no scratches at all.

I am considering a LifeProof case so I can use it for photos while fishing instead of carrying a waterproof camera and keeping my iphone in a ziploc bag.

11. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I'm just getting the invisible shield HD and calling it good.

12. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Naked for me as well :D

I'm not an idiot so I don't drop my $600+ electronics ;)

13. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Never have used a case and probably never will. Think about all the money people spend on them when in reality most people aren't bothered by a couple scratches to the phone. If it is really badly scratched up, just get a replacement at the apple store before you sell it. Problem solved.

14. sers macrumors regular

I used to use a case with my 4 but got sick of the way it look at felt. Took it off, put a skin on the back to protect it from scratches and haven't looked back. Love the naked feel of the phone and it just feels right - the way its meant to be used. I am more careful with it and put it in a holster when I throw it in my bag, but when I'm out and about it's in my pocket.

Love it naked!!

15. ccolaco macrumors 6502

No case for me. Don't have one on my 4S right now and don't plan on having one for my 5 either. I tend to baby my expensive products like my iPhone so with some care a case isn't necessary. The phone also looks great without one.

16. kazpod macrumors member

A good full-body film protector is sufficient for daily use...such as from BodyGuardz.

IMO a case kills the look of the phone,even if you have one of those expensive $200 cases.

I always just a get a cheap gel/rubber case for times I need one such as if I am going biking or any other sporting activity.

You paid a lot of money for the phone, especially the looks of it. Enjoy it. Don't cover it up.

17. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I agree, this may very well be the first iphone in a long time that we can all use without a case. Nevertheless, as a poster above highlighted, there is still a front glass panel on this phone and it is susceptible to breaking and cracking.

I will be going caseless myself, unless reviewers point out to some weak flaw with the phone where it will crack or break with just one drop.