Thinking about leaving Verizon for At&t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gbuc95, Aug 19, 2013.

1. gbuc95 macrumors member

I am thinking about leaving my Verizon unlimited plan for At&t. I am basically tired of Verizon making it harder to upgrade and its policies. I have been paying full price for my phones to keep unlimited and its getting expensive. I get a bigger corporate discount with At&t. Has anyone switched from Verizon to At&t and what has been your experience?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Vote with your wallet. AT&T in my area is among the best there is. Strong signal and very fast speeds. The process to change should be transparent to you.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, if you get a good discount and don't use a lot of data then maybe it's worth it for you. Personally, I'd pay full price for a smartphone if AT&T required it to keep my unlimited with them--and the Verizon unlimited plan is much better than theirs.

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

Don't forget the most important consideration. Coverage areas vary geographically carrier by carrier. If you don't have a good strong signal you'll suffer immeasurably.

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Honestly they both have great speed and coverage for the most part. Verizon has really taken away most if not all of the perks of being a customer. AT&T never had that many.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

B4r u give them the hee-ho, be sure your office/home got good AT&T signal, really needless to say.

7. gbuc95 thread starter macrumors member

That is one of reasons for leaving, Verizon has taken away every policy that was good for the customer. Even with this "edge" upgrade program you can't use it if you have unlimited data. They are doing everything possible to make sure you give it up.

8. TWD98j macrumors regular

As many have already stated, I would first check to make sure you get adequate coverage from AT&T in your area. Having LTE coverage would obviously be the best case scenario, but if you don't have that, then you should at the very least make sure you have HSPA+ (or "4G") coverage with an iDevice.

If you have good coverage in your area, I would visit an AT&T store and explain to them that you are a VZW customer looking to switch. But make sure to mention that you have unlimited data plan with VZW and make sure AT&T will match that before you make the switch.

I'm not sure what AT&T's policy may or may not be regarding individuals in this situation, but I would be inclined to think they may work something out with you. If they will accommodate your unlimited data plan and honor your corporate discount, then I would do it.

9. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I switched from Verizon to AT&T, have no regrets.

When I traveled for a living, I had both, AT&T and Verizon (work & personal lines), traveled all over the USA about 200 days out of the year. There were some places I was at where Verizon didn't work and AT&T did and vice versa, and in most of those cases I would just walk outside and then I was able to get signal. I eventually dropped the Verizon line and ported it over to AT&T, my personal line, due to the corporate discount I get. I haven't looked back at all and have no regrets doing it. In my opinion, coverage is about equal.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Verizon definitely used to have the edge. They had the most reliable service, and fastest and widespread LTE deployment. Their pricing was always as much or a tad more than AT&T's.

But in the past year or so, Verizon seems to have done nothing to maintain customer service levels or increase data speeds while AT&T has been exploding with data speeds and customer service levels.

11. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Just food for thought...

-Do you think AT&T will keep the unlimited data forever?
    -Or will AT&T force their subscribers to end theirs too?
    -Will you be able to get the unlimited data service when you leave VZW to AT&T?
    -How often does AT&T service drop calls in your area?

I fully understand your frustration and when the new iPhone becomes available I will let go of my unlimited data plan in favor of the subsidized pricing.

For me.. I have WiFi almost everywhere I go.. Home, at work, at a friends house and in most public places WIFI is readily available. Most of my portable video watching is done on my iPad mini with WIFI. For me the iPhone screen is just too small.

I am not willing to give up quality cellular service just yet.. AT&T still has sketchy services near my Area ( Greater NYC ).

12. dmw16 macrumors regular

It's all about coverage. I used to travel up and down the Northeast Corridor (DC to NYC) and found that Verizon always had good signal on my work phone and my AT&T iphone was usually good but there were some weak spots.

My beef with AT&T is calling their HSPA+ 4G vs Verizon 4G LTE. Around here Verizon's 4G is the best thing going. But it's region dependent.

The one time cost of a full price phone every 2 years wouldn't really bug me ($200 vs $650). The only reason I'd switch is if AT&T would save me a decent amount per month.

13. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

For me.. I will only switch if AT&T service is par or better than VZW and if the monthly rate is cheaper... I believe the monthly rate would be cheaper with AT&T but, my concerns are with the actual service.

14. cynics macrumors G3

If you didn't have unlimited data I'd say switch. But that is something I'd hold onto if I were you. Unless you don't use a lot of data to begin with.

15. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

How much data exactly is Verizon unlimited? 5 GB? How much do you usually use per month?

I left Verizon for AT&T back in 2008 strictly to get an iPhone. Service wise they have been excellent but just like Verizon their data plans are expensive if you need more than 3 GB a month.

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

From what I've observed, AT&T customer service is terrible. My boyfriend was with them for 5 years before switching to T-Mobile. He had a corporate discount and a couple other agreements made in store to keep his bill down, but it was still $100/month.

I would highly doubt that you will be able to keep unlimited data with AT&T forever of you can even get it in the first place.

While I'm not the account holder with VZW, I can say that we've never had a major issue with them. Losing unlimited data was annoying, but we're adjusting. We'll probably need to change the data plan if someone upgrades.

If going to AT&T is worth it for you, then do it. Buy be warned that they are not beholden to special promises with customers.

17. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I've found if you remain polite but firm with either of their customer service reps you usually can get pretty far and they will be willing to help you out. This just seems like a parallel switch to another evil so I wouldn't expect to be treated a whole lot better with AT&T.

18. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

As far as letting them know you have unlimited data won't change anything. You still have to choose from one of their tiered data plans. They do not offer unlimited plans for any customers that are not grandfathered. Mobile share are pretty much the norm now unless you want to try a minute plan...

19. macxbone macrumors newbie

20. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

switched from Verizon as soon as the iPhone was announced it was exclusively for AT&T never looked back since

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I thought losing unlimited data was the worst thing that could happen. But then I realized after 1 month that even without changing any habits, my usage was still less than 2gb. I would never pay full price for a iPhone ($649 vs $199) to keep unlimited data.

22. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

23. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I have been happy with AT&T for years and years and see no reson to look elsewhere. I never loose service and seldom see less than 3 bars and most the time have full.

24. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I wouldn't leave an unlimited Verizon phone line for AT&T where you are capped at 5GB/ month (then $10/ GB over) unless you don't use much data.