Thinking about upgrading my G4 1ghz ibook to a 17" new pb

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
I am considering upgrading my g4 ibook with 768 megs of ram airport and bluetooth which works good but the screen can be a little small for some tasks to a 17" 1.67ghz powerbook with a gig of ram. Am I going to see a hunge performance bump other then the fact that I will have a much larger screen. I will probably be selling my ibook to recoup some of the cost of the powerbook but I might actually end up keeping it. Has anyone else done this upgrade and has any feedback for me. I am getting a very large tax return and the new powerbooks look so very very nice. Thank in Advance,

Armando

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Well you will be seeing a boost in most things when going from the iBook to a PowerBook, one is of course speed/performance

There are other things like:

Graphics (plus bigger screen of course)
RAM
Faster Hard Disks (more storage too)
Bluetooth 2 (for future use)
DVI Out
Light up Keyboard

etc

If your happy to get one then I would say go for it but the iBook would still be a good computer if you didn't go ahead :)

Comment

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
I just salvate every time I see it and I can afford it now so I think i'm going to do it I just need to wait a few more days for the money. TORTURE. oh well at least I have a mac now =)

Comment

Alexandernap

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2004
Rochester NY
Upgrade from iBook to Powerbook

I just did exactly that. AppleStore had one left of the new 1.67 17" in stock so I bought it Friday. All I can say is I love it. I do not have the extra ram yet but even with the 512 I am very very pleased with its speed. I love the screen as well. The only problem I have is I am terrified of damaging it since it is so nice looking.

Comment

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
I would say do it - but are you going to be using your PB out and about? The 17" is not as portable as your iBook. Maybe something to consider. In all other respects - go for it

Comment

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
Not so much it's portable in the sense that I need to be taking it from work to home to school and I use it at all of those places but I am not going to be traveling a lot or anything any places where I would need use it in a cramped location. I am not too worried about the weight it's probably at most 2 pounds heavier then my ibook and I think I can lug around 2 pounds more for all the benifit.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.