Thinking of a MBP after years of other makes and Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stu9, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Stu9 macrumors member

So go easy :)

My last 2 laptops were both Alienware, an M17x and 14x (really regret selling the 17 but hey ho)...anyway, dont know why, but been looking at the MBP 15.

Truth be told though, I've also been looking for another AW 17x but cant find anything near me, and want to see/try it first before spending so paying before you see doesnt apeal to me.

So how diffirent would I find the MBP 15 to what I know ie Windows and AW?

Btw the spec of the M17 I had was

I7 sandy bridge 2.2ghz
    16gb ddr3
    Radeon 7970M
    250gb ssd + 500gb 7200 sata ordinary (as I would call it)

That's the main spec....so like I say, how would above stated MBP 15 compare, to swing me over to the other side

2. bmunge macrumors regular

It depends on what you need it for. Personally I identify the super spec'd Alien Ware machines more with gaming. If that is your chief concern you'd probably be better suited going that route.

The retina MacBook Pro specifically is an excellent device as it includes great specs in the base model (2.3 i7, 8GB DDR3, 256 GB SSD) coupled with the best laptop screen, great build quality, and good portability.

I recently got a rMPB and spec'd it to 2.6GHz and 16GB DDR3, however I need to work in the OSX environment for development. If you were a professional designer, I think the retina display and specs would be very intriguing in a laptop with the power of a desktop. If you give your specific needs we could advise you further. Hope this helps :)

3. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

Well... as you usually buy AW, i'm gonna assume you game a lot, and gaming isn't as easy on a mac as on a windows based pc, since many games are Windows exclusive. You might run into some problems there.

Other than that, i prefer OS X over Windows for most of my tasks. And the build quality and general performance of a mac always feels a bitt smoother to me. But then again... You should think about your needs. I use a Macbook for almost everything, but for gaming a Windows machine usually is better. Then again, if you want to game, get a stationary. :p and a cheap laptop for your portable needs.

If you want you can install windows on your mac and run most games that way though. And it's mostly a smooth experience.

4. Stu9 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry....totaly forgot to say that I'm not a gamer :eek:

But wanted a top notch/spec machine for watching/downloading films, music, graphic design ect...I know that the M17 was maybe a bit like having a Ferrari in the garage but only using for doddling about with the occasional blast.

At the same time though...I got it to supposidly do me for a good few years, that didnt work :eek:

Seriously though....if I thought an MBP 15 or 17 (although I know they dont make them now, and any I've found so far, are second hand and miles from me, as in 100's) would be plenty, I'd gladly get it......but again would want to see/try before buying....I can do that with the 15's as there's plenty in shops, but not the 17 :(

5. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

For you use, even a 13" MBP could suffice, but if your graphic design is heavy, a look at the 15/17" is absolutely worth it. the 17" is pretty much the same as the 15" with a bigger screen and more workspace. :p the 15" retina would be a good substitute as it gives you more space to work with because of the resolution.

6. Haiku214 macrumors member

If you came from using an alienware laptop, it is a downgrade to get a mbp. For me the only reason why you would want to get a mbp is for OSX. But then again, you can do absolutely EVERYTHING on a windows machine. OSX can't do gaming so you will still end up installing windows bootcamp.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Yes, but its SO much more pleasant doing slightly less on a Mac.

8. Stu9 thread starter macrumors member

So think it'd be downgrade going to an MBP 15, that's interesting, i thought about going to a proper Mac shop today and asking them inrtead of the fresh out school yoof in PC World that has targets to get every month.......just to see if there's diffirence in opinions

9. turbocrow macrumors newbie

I was in your boat then I realized I never actually gamed on a laptop I used to get the dedicated card just in case but never played any games that I said I would lol so I got rid of my Dell xps and got a 13inch macbook pro because of the battery life and build quality and of course the amazing battery life.

10. Seiko4169 macrumors newbie

I'd be wary

I did just that this year with the 15 RMBP. I came from an ageing but stunning IBM T41p and although the 15 RMBP is very nice it's certainly made sacrifices by comparison.

Build wise,

The T41p had the best Intel chip and dedicated graphics at the time. It was modular, superbly thin for the times. Had every connection type you could need back then, great screen, superb keyboard, trackpad and pointer.

The RMBP is by todays times one of the slimmest, best in class processor, very nice dedicated GPU and nice keyboard. Superb trackpad for Lion users and of course a screen that is simply stunning.

Alas, no keyboard pointer stick, no modular design and a much bigger footprint.

In terms of the software, I've put Windows 7 and 8 on mine and thats when you realise its always going to take a step backwards as a Windows machine. Simple things like dedicated home, delete, page up and downs keys etc. Limited trackpad features for Windows and no keyboard pointer make editing documents a little more tricky.

Overall, its a nice machine and considering the limited choice of Windows laptops with a similar build quality its a fair choice but its not the best of best for me.

Now if they'd put the dedicated GPU in the 13 I might have been very impressed but the 15" has a large foot print so it doesn't seem quite so impressive.

11. Stu9 thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to see this tomorrow.....second hand

3.3ghz i7 core with 6mb l3 cache
    quad core proccessor
    4gb ram
    500gb hard drive

15.4 inch display

intel hd graphics 400 card and nvidia geforce gt 650m graphics proccessor

all the usual ports and plugs

its in new condition comes with hard case and logic pro keyboard and carhartt macbook pro glove

fully updated to the latest software running os x 10.8.2

full loaded with 3 grands worth of software from music production to web design

even microsoft works full suite and football manager 13

includes logic pro, pro tools 10, serato scratch live and serato itch, traktor duo, all the native instruments catalogue, cubase nuendo 4, garageband, MainStage, photoshop, ableton live, propellerheads reason, rapid weaver, numbers, adobe cs5, ilife, iWork, iMovie, iphoto

boxed and as if it just left the shop

fully under warranty and also has unlimited one to one traing in the apple shop

will provide the receipt and any other documentation that is with it

boxed etc

can also include my iphone and or ipad for extra cost but you would have the full package

12. Stu9 thread starter macrumors member

13. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

If you're not a gamer, then why would you have that Alienware? Seriously that is paying a ton of money for hardware you NEVER use.

go with the 15" rMBP