Thinking of buying a ACD, should I go ahead and get it out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Sep 16, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I'd hook it up to my MBP in my room. I'm thinking of getting the middle size one because the biggest one is just way too much money.

I'm probably going to use it and my laptop for dual monitor.

2. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why wait? I'm happy with mine and I think I've had it for about a month now.

4. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

is it possible to hook up my wii to the ACD?

5. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

also, if they do update them, would it be possible to hook both screens up to my laptop and just not use my laptop when i'm in my room and have the dual screens ?

thanks

6. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

If you can afford it, I'd go for it. Although, I'm not too sure the Macbook Pro offers dual external displays.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

They are very good displays, however, they only offer DVI input so I doubt you can connect your Wii to it.

Also, MacBooks or MacBook Pros can only handle ONE external display.

8. jonnylink macrumors 6502

Wouldn't this take care of the of the dvi?
    EDIT: here is your answer (no).

Maybe only one seperate external, but you can have one and external monitor and your MacBook Pro LCD working together at once either as a mirrored desktop or as a dual-display extended desktop setup. (see link or pg68 of the MacBook Pro manual)

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

No, that goes from a DVI out signal to a video signal, it does not work the other way around which your would need to run the Wii through the ACD. The only chance is if there is an HDMI->DVI converter (direction matters) assuming the Wii has HDMI, I don't have one so I don't remember.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Think the wii only has component video as its highest form.

Perhaps try the dell 24". It has s video and component inputs if I recall. On sale right now for 569.99.

11. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i was looking at the 30" one ... http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=222-7175

but i can't decide if i should wait for the ACD to update and hope they will have component hookups, or go ahead and get the dell one.

i'm not the smartest on monitors, but could you give me a comparison on the ACD and this dell one?

Also, would 30" be too big for a desk? thanks for the help!

12. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

How big is your desk? How far back can you push your chair? I have the 23" ACD in a small room and it seems pretty big. I love it, btw. I have a huge desk but I've got a printer and scanner on it, along with a lamp and my MBP. Not a lot of room left for a display. I had to get used to being so close to a large screen (I moved up from a 15"), but now it seems just right.

13. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

yea when i went to the store a while back, the 30" one did seem pretty big. i may go with the 23" one too because i am pretty close to the screen. thanks.

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The 30" does not have a component input. There is a way to connect a wii to an ACD, but it is very expensive.

15. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

Slightly off topic, but I think it's worth it to point out that Powerbooks can have 3 displays via VTBook DVI PCMCIA grahics card.

Perhaps Village Tronic has an express card version on the way, but I can't find anything on that. Maybe someone is better friends with Google than me. :)

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

The lack of inputs on the ACD are the reason I wouldn't buy it. I just want another input, like the dell.

I understand why some people would want it (professionals and those that just want it as a monitor), but for me, I would rather have the multiple inputs so that I could use it for more then a monitor.

17. Drile macrumors member

I have owned a few Dell LCD's and I have been nothing but happy.

The only downside is the aesthetics compared to your computer.

18. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I have a solution, which I plan to buy, but haven't tested yet...

http://www.x2vga.com/

+

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...shop_mac/mac_accessories/cables&nplm=M8754G/A

-Ado

19. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

That will NOT work. The device you linked to outputs VGA and the ACD will not take VGA.

And again, for that DVI to VGA adapter, direction matters. DVI ports on computers output both a digital and analogue signal on separate pins. The adapter essentially ignores the digital pins and just re-routs the analogue one. You cannot create a digital signal out of no where so you cannot go the other way around (VGA->DVI).

20. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Thanks for the correction. What about this: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3557

or

http://www.amazon.com/QVS-CF15D-06-...pd_sim_dbs_e_shvl_title_6/002-5296770-5864010

?

Would either of those work?

Thanks,

Ado

21. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The first one will work as it, converts the analog to digital. The second will not, as it is simply taking the analog signal and pushing it through the analog pins on the DVI cable.

You run into a problem though. You would need to get a DVI-M to DVI-F as the ACD has its own DVI-M cable coming directly from the ACD itself.

You would also have to switch manually between the two unless you got a DVI switcher. http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4172

At that point you are spending more money and adding complexity to what is supposed to be a simple system.

This is why I do not buy ACDs. They don't offer any flexibility. Also, the misconception that the ACDs are the epitome of monitors for design is just that, a misconception. There are displays that equal the ACD in quality and exceed it in flexibility. Function trumps form when it comes to displays.

22. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

The limited connections are why I haven't gone ahead and bought an ACD myself yet... what are your recommendations for other monitors based on style? This is one of the few I like:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=222-7315

...but, the pixel pitch isn't as clear, and I don't like the design quite as much as the ACD. Advice?

-Ado

23. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The 27" is still a bit pricey in my opinion. The pixels may be larger but at a normal viewing distance you will hardly notice it. I have heard you can bargain with Dell on the phone. May give that a shot.

I understand the obsession with style. But again, think in terms of function. The Dell line is still quite nice. The 24" does not have the same stylings but is still a lovely display.

I personally have fallen for LG. I have two of their 24" displays and they are lovely. They may not be made of silvery goodness, but they offer great connections, a beautiful picture, and a standard 3yr warranty. Right now they run for about $500 at Best Buy. Which means you can return it no hassle if you don't like it.

In terms of matching the ACD is style, there is nothing besides the newer metallic Dell line.

Check out hardforum.com. They have a very active display section. You will learn a lot. I can't give you a direct recommendation. But based on your needs, the ACD is out. You have to decide whether style beats function.

24. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I have in my studio an ACD, Dell and Samsung (I'm a digital artist and sometimes I have students here). I can say the ACD is noticeably a better display in terms of colour accuracy. There's a reason it costs more than the others and not just because it's Apple branded. The other thing I noticed is I calibrate all the Macs to the external displays using a Gretag calibrator and the ACD always matches the Mac's own internal screen whereas the other brands are always slightly brighter or a little more blue or green by comparison.

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Honestly I would recommend you to purchase a Dell widescreen. They are cheaper and sport greater functionality compared to their ACD counterparts. You can hook up your Wii to a Dell but not an Apple ACD.

For the price of a Dell 24" widescreen you can purchase an Apple 20". You pick.