Thinking of buying a monitor for 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, May 13, 2010.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hi,

So I'm studying Architecture at University and I've been using my 17" 2009 MBP since I started. As my work has become more complex/larger I feel that everything is too crammed on one screen. I was usuing my Laptop and a Uni PC yesterday at Uni and it's really nice to have one monitor for CAD and another for Illustrator/Internet/Music etc.

A few questions I have about a external monitor :

When you have two screens, is it cumbersome to keep ' moving' your head to find the other page your looking for ?

Do you loose any power when you use 2 monitors ?

Is it ergonomic to be typing on the laptop whilst the second screen isn't directly in front you you/your laptop screen ?

What's an alternative to the Apple LED screen for <£200 ( I will search the forum intensely ! )

Are there any monitors that offer similar features to the Apple LED such as the magsafe charger and USB hub ?

Thank You !

2. kyleh613 macrumors regular

I can answer the first question at least. It takes a while to get use to having two monitors. It really comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer one very large monitor rather then two. When I am working though, I just ignore any other distractions or bust out the iphone and play music off that with the headphones.