Thinking of buying a new iMac 21.5 or 27" wait or buy now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Finox831, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Finox831 macrumors member

Hello all, I'm looking to buy a new iMac, was thinking either the iMac 21.5 or 27". I was wondering why these iMac's arent on i7 but on i5 (is there a big difference?) and is it worth upgrading the drive to fusion? Also, should I wait for a new release of the iMac or go ahead and buy one now?

I do also want to use this for gaming, I play Diablo 3 and League of Legends.
    I also edit pictures so I have big programs like Photoshop, Lightroom5 etc running.

thanks everyone.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You can buy i7 iMacs. It's one of the purchase options.

As for buying now or not, depends on if you can wait until Autumn for the next generation or need one now.

Attached Files:

3. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I just bought the base 21 inch for the wife, she just does basic stuff. But I am going to see how far I can push it. With Photoshop, ProTools and Final Cut Pro on the base 21 inch will give me a better idea of what I'm going to purchase for myself.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

i7s are only available as BTO machines. In hyper threaded tasks (usually in media production software like video production, encoding, rendering, audio production.....etc), i7s will be about 30-40% faster than identically-clocked i5s (and perhaps about 25-30% faster than higher-clocked i5s).

If you want to use it for gaming, get the model with the GT750M. The Iris Pro is only faster than the discrete GPU in OpenCL tasks, but when it comes to games and CUDA-assisted software, the NVIDIA cards totally trash it.

A Fusion drive is a must, or at least a 256GB SSD. I went for a 256GB SSD in my 21.5" iMac for pure speed and reliability.

5. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

new Haswell intel chip bump just arriving. refresh of iMac's rumored to happen within weeks if not a month.

just today the Macbook Air was updated.... more to come and get upgrade.

6. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

what difference does it make? lower price, too?

----------

I did the same with my 21.5'' new iMac (only SSD is faster and very quiet!) along with 16GB RAM. I didn't choose an i7 model, i5 is enough for my needs.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I went for an i7 because it can hyper thread (the i5 can't) and a lot of apps that I use support hyper threading (video production and 3D rendering software).