Thinking of buying a T3i. any reason not to?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by noodile, Aug 4, 2012.

1. noodile macrumors regular

I've been doing research for over a year now. I finally saved up for a dslr and so far i'm set on a canon T3i with the kit lens + 55-250 lens + 50mm 1.8 lens.

Any reason why not to go with that setup. My budget is around 900. give or take a little. A Canon 60d is outta budget, same with the Nikkon D7000.

Which leaves me with the Nikon D90, D5100, D3200, and D3100. Also with the canon T2i and T4i.

Video autofocus and touch screen on the t4i is unjustified, and the T2i is kinda a downgrade.

Anything i'm missing?

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

The T2i is exactly the same as the T3i except for the flip out screen and flash sync. If that is not important to you, save some money and get a T2i. Otherwise, that is a good starting setup, that is what I started with except a T2i, because I don't need the flip out screen or flash sync. You'll enjoy the 50mm f/1.8, I very rarely use the 55-250mm, but if it's a bundle why not.

Enjoy!

3. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

T4i has new next gen digic 5 processor. worthy upgrade from t3i

4. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

5. blanka macrumors 68000

If I would buy a camera today, the dynamic range would be my primary concern. And unfortunately, Canon is out the game on that aspect at the moment. The Sony/Nikon camp is up to 14.5 stops D-range at the moment for camera's like the D5100 and D3200 where Canon still hangs around 11.5-12. It is a huge difference, and delivering a total new quality to digital photography. We can finally ditch negatives.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I have the exact setup that you're planning on buying. I bought the T3i with kit lens back in April. I've really enjoy shooting and learning with the kit lens, but a few weeks later, I bought the 50mm 1.8. I love that lens. I've taken (IMO) some really nice shots with it.

On the weekend, Amazon dropped their price for the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II to $149, so I grabbed it. I received it today, so I've only taken a dozen or so test shots, but I'm really liking the results.

I've used the flipout screen a few times to shoot from really low angles, so it has come in handy. I haven't used the camera at all for video, so I can't comment on that.

I'm clearly a beginner and I'm constantly learning, so you're not getting a professional opinion from me. But I did a crapload of research before deciding on all of my purchases.

I'd also suggest getting the book Understanding Exposure. Information that I didn't pick up online or from friends, I learned from that book.

7. noodile thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input man. I'm in your sameeee exact position. I've been researching for month. I'm a "beginner". So i'm sure our experience will be similar. I'm buying it next week or so. Found a deal on it for $610 shipped. (with the 18-55mm). too bad i missed the 55-250 + 50mm bundle sale for $250

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I learned about the 55-250 sale on slickdeals, so keep your eye on that site.

I got a great deal on my T3i....I actually bought it used (but in perfect condition) from a photography student that was upgrading to a much better camera because he received a grant. He bought it 2 months earlier, and only took around 2000 shots with it. He threw in a UV filter, extra batteries, and an awesome Lowepro sling pack. He even transfered the 3 year Best Buy warranty to me that he originally purchased when he bought the camera! So, if anything happens to the camera, Best Buy gives me a new one. And he even gave me his original Best Buy receipt. All for $520. I'm a really good negotiator. :D:p

9. equilibrium17, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

equilibrium17 macrumors member

I purchased a T3i ~ 8 months ago and I'm very happy with it. I got it with the 18-135mm kit lens, which I like as an inexpensive walk-around all-purpose lens. I now have other lenses that I shoot with more often and will probably buy more lenses in the near future. But I expect I'll keep the 18-135mm -- it's nice to have as a flexible, lightweight, grab-one-lens-and-go choice for casual shooting.

I'm not disappointed that I didn't wait for the T4i. It's nice, but the most significant improvements are for video and I don't shoot a lot of video. And in any event it's significantly more expensive than the T3i so it's really in a different price category (and more than I wanted to spend).

At the time I purchased the T3i, I had actually pretty much decided to purchase a T2i because I didn't think I needed the T3i's articulating screen (which is the most significant feature that the T3i has over the T2i; I think the other differences are pretty minor).

As it turned out, I managed to find a really good deal on the T3i which was only slightly higher than what I could find a T2i for, so I went ahead and got the T3i. This was the right choice for me. I've been surprised how much I use the articulating screen. While I mostly shoot through the eyepiece, shooting in Live View via the screen makes it much easier to shoot at unusual positions/angles (e.g., holding the camera close to the ground, over your head). It's also very nice that the articulating screen folds against the body, so the screen is protected from scratches and smudges when you're not using it.

So overall, for me, the T3i has been worth the (modest) additional cost over the T2i. I expect it to be my DSLR body for at least the next 2-3 years before I seriously consider upgrading.

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

From my point of view, i personally hate the articulating screen. Makes the DSLR not so DSLR... but of course, its still a nice entry level DSLR.

OP: It sounds like you made your mind...

11. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

One advice I was given is invest in lenses, as you'll be upgrading the body as models with higher pixel count comes out. The tXi, 60D, and 7D have the same APS sensor size, variation of the DIGIC processor.

The t2i is being discontinued, and stores are slashing prices to clear their stocks. That's how I bought a t2i kit last week, along with a 50mm F1.8 lens, 3 years extended warranty for the price of a t3i kit ($700). Adding the 55-250mm lens would be equal to the price of the t4i body alone ($850).

12. Surely Guest

Surely

How so?:confused:

I typically keep the screen as seen in the photo below and use the eye piece when shooting.

[​IMG]

13. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

why anybody buys these amazing little cameras with their amazing sensors with a crappy lens (like 18-55mm or 55-250mm) is beyond me. op should be thinking about putting money down on some nice glass. your body will be obsolete in 3-4 years.

14. Surely, Aug 7, 2012

Surely Guest

Surely

Because some of us don't want to drop thousands of dollars on a hobby and are perfectly happy with the results that these lenses give us. I'm coming from taking pictures with a P&S and my iPhone. The results that these "crappy" lenses are giving me are well above and beyond anything I've shot before.

If I get into this hobby further, is there a chance that I'll start buying pricier lenses? Absolutely. But for now, I couldn't be happier with what I have.

I'm not trying to be a professional photographer here.....:rolleyes:

EDIT: and the 55-250mm lens is so crappy that all of these people seem to just hate it:

Screen Shot 2012-08-07 at 11.11.12 AM.png

15. equilibrium17, Aug 7, 2012

equilibrium17 macrumors member

As I noted, I usually only use Live View + Articulating Screen to take photos from perspectives/positions where it would be difficult, if not impossible, to line up the shot through the eyepiece. This isn't all that often, but it's often enough to make the $~40 I paid for the T3i over the T2i worth it, IMHO.

For example, I recently got a nice low-angle shot of a frog, which I got by holding the camera just above the water, and lining up the shot via the screen (which I angled upward so I could see it) in Live View. To get that shot via the eyepiece, I would of had to literally lie down in the muddy swamp. If that's "not so DSLR" shooting, then fine; being able to occasionally use my camera in a "not so DSLR" way is a handy thing to be able to do when the situation warrants, IMHO.

16. noodile thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, this really took off today. Thanks everyone for the input, now i'm even more confident about getting the T3i. :D

17. h1r0ll3r, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Do it, you won't regret it. As you pointed out, the T4i isn't a huge increase in specs over the T3i. It has a couple nice features (better at taking video I believe) but doesn't justify its price. The T2i is a comparable camera however it lacks the flip out LCD screen. I, personally, love the flip out screen as it helps making some of the hard-to-get/awkward shots a little easier. The lenses you picked out are great to start off with however, once you get that itch to upgrade lenses, I highly recommend the 17-55 f/2.8. It's pretty much glued to my camera body at the moment.

If you sign up for 1SaleADay's email newsletter, they've been having camera sales like crazy in the past few weeks. I believe I saw a T3i on their (with the 18-55 kit lens) for around $500 or so. Great bargain there so you might wanna check that out before buying elsewhere.

http://1saleaday.com/

No. As he states he is a beginner so dropping $1000+ on a L lens is neither in his budget or his skill level. The 18-55 comes with the body so it's not really an option unless he gets another kit lens like the 18-135 with his purchase. And the 55-250, for its price, is one of the best lenses out there for a crop body both in price and performance. And unless he decides to become a professional photographer, I don't think his T3i will become obsolete for him. Even with the advancements in camera technology today, people still use XT, even older model, bodies. It'll only become "obsolete" if he's one of those habitual early adopters.

18. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

Another shout out for the 55-250... I received it as a Christmas gift. First batch of photos shot with it landed me an unexpected work study job shooting athletic events at my small college.

It serves it's purpose and if I ever pursue anything more serious, I'll upgrade. But for now, I love it.

19. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You can find the D7000 refurbed on Nikon's web site for right around your price range. However, the T3i is a fine camera as well. Just a suggestion if you don't mind having a brand new camera.

20. noodile thread starter macrumors regular

well, i hit up best buy today, messed around with both the D5100 and the T3i.

I felt like the canon is too lightweight and the buttons feel like they're cheap. overall made me feel like its not worth the money.

5100 was more sturdy, better quality and better feel over all, checked alot of reviews online and most of them recomended the 5100 over the t3i. so, i ended up getting it from sears.

Nikon D5100
    18-55mm lens
    55-200mm lens

Sub-total: $765 after price match.

Now i need a class 10 32gb SD card from amazon. (i picked up a crappy class 6 locally for $15 for the time being).

and the nikon 50mm 1.8,

shutter release, bag, filters, lens cleaning kit,

21. MrGIS macrumors regular

Always spent the bulk of your money on good glass..

You're right that the 55-250 is a huge step up to an iPhone, but if you can afford to, spend all you can on good glass...

22. Surely Guest

Surely

Enjoy your purchase.:)

I can afford to. I just don't want to right now. As I said before, at this point it's just a hobby. I'm sure I'll end up buying better lenses (and a better body) as time goes on and I improve and notice the limitations of my current equipment.

Buying these "economy" lenses now doesn't stop me from buying more expensive/better quality lenses later on.

23. Prodo123, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The T3i is in a weird spot now that the T4i has come into the game. The main difference is in the processing power and the autofocus. The T4i has a much improved 9-point cross-type AF, as opposed to the T3i and T2i's single-line type points. The T4i can deliver up to a reasonable 5 fps burst, while the T3i and T2i are hovering around the 3.7-4 fps mark. There is no difference in sensors between the three cameras.

If you want any of these improvements, get the T4i. If you don't, save your money and get the T2i. Don't get the T3i.

And for convenience's sake, get the 18-135. I made the mistake of going with the generic and crappy 18-55 kit. Now I have better lenses but when the kit was my only lens, I really wished for something longer...

24. Surely Guest

Surely

I was in a Target this afternoon, and they had the 5100 so I decided to take a look.

It's funny, I felt that the 5100 was less sturdy and that it felt/looks cheaper than the T3i. I didn't like the buttons or their placements. I also didn't like how it felt in my hands.

Looking at the specs, the 5100 weighs 19.9 oz and the T3i weighs 20.6 oz. So it's weird that you found the T3i "too lightweight". They're pretty close in terms of weight, and the T3i is actually a bit heavier.:confused:

Anyway, I didn't come here to bash your purchase. I truly do hope that you enjoy it and have no regrets (I'm sure you won't). It's just interesting how subjective camera preference really is.:)