Thinking of buying an iPad - a few questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheLibertine, Jul 15, 2012.

1. TheLibertine macrumors newbie

So, after realising i would like to own a tablet computer, i decided to get an iPad. I own a Samsung Galaxy Note, but just didn't get the phone-, nor the tablet-experience i wanted from Android. So this time it will be an iPad. Period.

I allready decided that i don't really need LTE - tethering should work just well. Still, i am just having the first world problems many iPad-buyers have and would like to ask a few questions:

1. My budget would enable me to buy an iPad 3 LTE 32 GB or Wi-Fi 64 GB, but i decided 32 GB Wi-Fi ist just enough. But now, for just the same money, i could get an iPad 2 64 GB UMTS. So, knowing i would like to upgrade soon, which has the higher resale value?
    2. Thanks to my families overall mediocre eye sight, i don't have the best eyes in terms of endurance and prescription. I am right saying the retina display puts less strain on them? And is the White or black version more eye-friendly?
    3. Is the iPad 3 much more difficult to hold on the long term? Sometimes i read that cause of the extra thickness and weight it doesn't feel premium anymore.

I've been to the Apple Store allready to answer the questions and will go there another last time before buying, but still need your help. The most important question is the first - i would definitely like to get the fourth generation, so i would like to get as much as possible out of reselling my iPad 2/3.

2. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

For the difference in price, get an iPad3. No question in my mind. One thing to consider is that the 3G or LTE version has a GPS, the WiFi does not. Ipad makes a great navigation device if you travel somewhere unfamiliar, and don't want to bring GPS as well.
    no and no difference, IMHO. I have bad eyesight as well, and haven't really noticed that the retina version is any different. White vs black, shouldn't matter, it is the bright screen that will fatigue your eyes, not the border. I prefer black. That being said, for reading in a dark room, you can invert the colors (set the triple tap of the home button), which helps for text web browsing (but makes pictures look weird). For ebook reading, I use night mode (white text on black background for Kindle, red text on black background for stanza).

I believe this is one area where iPad3 well be friendlier to your eyes: the screen brightness goes one or two notches lower then for the iPad1 or 2, and that helps when reading in the dark.

I went from ipad1 to iPad3, and the iPad3 feels lightweight to me. No problems, although for extended reading, I tend to prop it up on something.

Then don't buy the iPad2, resale value when iPad4 comes out will be almost nothing. That being said, I would buy the iPad3, and keep it for at least two years, and buy the iPad5. No need to buy every generation, unless the iPad4 has a unicorn and rainbow dispenser built in.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

1) No idea.

2) I noticed that retina doesn't seem to do much for me, except that text looks a little sharper (which in turn makes it easier to read). One benefit, for instance, is that I can have 2 pages on goodreader in landscape mode and still read the small text, but it can get tiring after a while.

3) Don't really feel the difference, IMO.

4. Smithey1981 macrumors member

iPad 3 is a lot easier on the eyes especially for reading, resale in th uk seems better with the 3G/wifi ones.. Personally I went for a 32gb wifi as they don't lose a lot in resale either. Also I don't find the iPad 3 heavy or odd to hold over a period of time.

5. TheLibertine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the answers, especially the first poster. That said, I will most likely go with an iPad 3. Don't need GPS, it will be an couch/hotel/restaurant-iPad. The only thing I would benefit from with the LTE chip is higher resale value, but the price is also higher. Oh, and i am living in Moscow, so no 4G speed anyways.

The colors on the new iPad should also be better, right? I find them on fathers iPad 1 a plain after been spoiled with the Super Amoled screen of my Samsung Galaxy. 40 percent higher Color saturation sounds great.

And who cares if there are 10 or 9 hours of battery life anyway...? Some even say the new iPad lasts slightly longer and is slightly faster.