Thinking of buying iPad 2 is laptop free possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fuzzy.Dunlop, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

As the title says

I don't really have much need for my macbook pro anymore and am looking at just having an iPad. My only concern is my large iTunes library (330gb Music and 400gb TV Shows etc..)

As far as I've read, I understand you can't use an external drive with an iPad, nor can a network drive be used?

Is it possible to access my songs etc without a laptop?

2. ronaldmcdonald macrumors member

Seagate released a wireless HDD storage solution for iPad.

My only concern with just the iPad is the difficulty in typing out long documents...

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I got rid of my laptop when I got my iPad 2. Found that typing documents on Pages works just fine for me. Dropbox is great for getting documents and pictures/videos over to other gadgets or computers (until iCloud is in full force). I just never cared for laptops, and I never stored anything on mine. I streamed everything over my network or played it off of a flash drive.

For ME and for MY workflow, a laptop is no longer needed. Many will disagree with me.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You will still be required to sync with a computer to update the music on your iPad, alternately, you can sync with an iTunes library and use remote, but that library still needs to be accessible from a Mac or PC.

5. Fuzzy.Dunlop thread starter macrumors regular

that looks like what I need, when it's released in the uk

I'm on three mobile so have all you can eat data (100gb+ if I want) so can use my iPhone as a wireless hub etc..

I use dropbox and office2 for docs on my iPhone so am used typing long docs. As I've had a career change i'll (reluctantly) have to get a cheap laptop in the future but, the idea of just me, my iPad, hard drive and iPhone appeals to me

Minimal living :cool:

6. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

until iOS5 is released, you need a computer for syncing the iPad.

You could take a look at Synology NAS devices - they have iPad apps that allow you to access audio & other files. So far, I have only tried Video files and it doesn't work at all - you can use the app to download a video to the iPad and play from there, but streaming isn't going to happen. For a library of your size, I think you are going to need a computer to manage it for the foreseeable future.

By the way 330GB of Music? Really? That's on the order of 100,000 songs! You could play for 9 months without repeating.

7. Fuzzy.Dunlop thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer, it's only 34,000 (odd) songs as everything is mostly at 320kbps MP3

itunes match looks like it could be a possible solution but I'm pretty sure about half my library isn't on iTunes so will have to see what that will offer

8. Martlets93 macrumors member

Martlets93

I still use my laptop for peripherals. That's about it.

I did just buy a MBP, though.

9. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

For travel, I'm almost completely laptop free. I can usually get along with just my iPad, a travel router and a video adapter (plugs into a data projector). Some apps help: Dropbox and LogMeIn Ignition in particular.

I still have to sync my iPad with my laptop from time-to-time (about once per week). This is mostly to back up apps I've downloaded on the iPad. I also get my podcasts and app updates from my laptop.

The very last piece of the laptop-free puzzle for me will be to get my presentations into Keynote format so I can use the iPad for presentations. My employer just bought me a Macbook Pro, so this part is just a matter of learning how to do it.

My field work in elementary schools and classrooms doesn't involve a lot of typing. If I had to do a lot of typing, I would get the Apple wireless keyboard. I've also been experimenting with various "note taking" apps and a stylus for meetings and there are some great apps. On a practical level, in classrooms, a paper notebook is still the way to go. When I pass around my iPod or iPad in a class, I usually don't see again it until I'm ready to go :D!

Laptop free becomes very appealing when you can get on a flight with just a small messenger bag. For the time being, the iPad still requires occasional contact with a "mother ship" computer.

10. mwheeler609 macrumors member

mwheeler609

Well I just bought my white iPad today, and I am feeling like I will only need my MacBook pro for programs I use to edit, like adobe programs and such, I now can keep my MacBook docked and a take this around with me

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Congrats and enjoy!!

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I really think its possible if you don't need to do any word processing or use applications such as photoshop. For the first time ever, I won't be taking my laptop on vacation with me, just my iPad. I never would have thought the iPad would be so capable. I find myself using it SO much more than my laptop now. I can't wait for iOS 5 with the split keyboard...hopefully that'll solve my only real gripe with it.

13. xraytech macrumors 68020

The iPad has turned my MacBook Pro into my primary desktop. So yes in a sense you can go laptop free.

14. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

If it wasn't for my company integrating some key work functions into Lotus Notes that I can't do on my iPad, it would be all that I need.

Actually, don't have my laptop power cord with me today and the battery already died, so on the iPad for the rest of the day.

15. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

I actually gave my wife my 15" MBP and am getting an iPad 2 soon; my mini does all my "heavy lifting", including managing/streaming iTunes, running other apps (iMovie, iPhoto, etc.). The iPad will be my primary "computer" for 95% of what I do on a daily basis.

Within about six months I'll probably upgrade the mini to an iMac and use it the same as the mini. I just don't need two uber-powerful computers. :)

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Meh.

After getting an iPhone I rarely use the iPad. Never got used to the form factor, and am kicking myself for not putting the money towards a real laptop instead of this "?laptop replacement?" I bought.

My fault totally. iPad is still a great thing, just not a thing to do any serious (depending on what kind of line you are in) work.

17. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

This is the way I see it. I love my iPad 2, but I see it as much more of an entertainment device than a business device.