iPad mini Thinking of buying iPad mini retina off craigslist for $300 cash, good deal?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nnacrumors, Jun 12, 2014.

1. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I want an iPad mini and got in on the Target $199 deal but I'm disappointed in both the screen pixelation + overall slowness that will get even worse over time with iOS updates :(

I'd much rather get an iPad mini retina due to its much better screen and faster internals which could handle future iOS updates better than the original 2012 iPad mini:
    - 1.3ghz A7 vs 1.0ghz A5
    - 64 bit processor vs 32 bit processor
    - Quad core GPU vs Dual core GPU
    - 326ppi vs 163ppi

The only problem is that I don't want to spend $400 (plus tax) for a brand new iPad mini retina - too expensive - so I found someone on craigslist that has a mint condition one and comes with a case + screen protector on it since day one. Warranty is still good until Jan 2015.

Is $300 (tax free) a good deal for this?

Would you do it? Why or why not?

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

At that price i'd wait for the refresh because there's a chance the rMini could replace the Mini.

3. nnacrumors thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought about that but then I'd have to:
    - wait months until November when Apple finally comes out with the new iPads.
    - pay tax
    - pay for a case
    - pay for a screen protector

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

That is a pretty good deal considering they are throwing in the case and protector, plus the fact it is under warranty. Just make sure the seller properly resets it before you take possession of it. If you can do the deal at an Apple Store that would probably be the most ideal place. That way an employee there can make sure all is good before you hand over the money.

5. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

A refurb on the Apple site is only $339. I would go for that over anything on CL.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I agree. I know you will still have to buy a case (if you want one), but it is worth the extra money to just walk in and get one that you can return or exchange if anything goes wrong with it.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

I purchased a really nice case from Amazon for $7 shipped. Screen protectors on average cost $4-7.

8. rsquirrel macrumors member

You didn't mention how many GB it was.

I just purchased an ipad mini with retina up in Canada with a 32GB for $469.99. It was on sale for $50 off. I actually purchased it last week at $30 off and went in to the store today and got back $20+tax.

The 16 GB is on for $369.99 ($50 off reg. price). I bought at Future Shop but Best Buy also has the same deal.

I purchased a case (hard back and smart cover) + 3 screen protectors for about $10 CAN on eBay.

9. nnacrumors thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the good advice :)

I've heard of horror stories on CL where a person buys something with Find My iPhone still on and, 10 minutes after handing over the cash and the seller leaving, you get you device activation locked and the seller starts demanding more $$$ from them to unlock it :(

Some sick people in the world....

The only issue with that though is that I would be paying $65 more than I would via Craigslist :(

For some the safety of getting something direct from a retailer is worth the extra 22% premium ($339 + $26 tax vs $300 + no tax) they would pay. For myself though I'm not too worried about a non-subsidized iPad that I can do a factory reset on before I purchase. If anything goes wrong it still has the same Apple warranty as the refurbished units.

If I was buying a case myself I would probably go for the 'Khomo' one on Amazon ($15) That plus the screen protector plus tax start to add up to make it not so much of a good deal.

Plus Im not sure Id want to wait 5 months until November if I can avoid it and still get a good deal now.

It's 16GB. Anything more for the same $300 price and I wouldn't have even asked you guys (I would have simply bought it right away).

I'm a Slickdeal person at heart though and really like to get the best bang for my buck when it comes to spending money. If I can save $69 ($369 vs $300) plus tax as well I most likely go for the lower price / better value unless someone happens to tell me it's a bad deal. So far no one has yet so I guess that's a good thing.

10. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I'd go for it. Just make sure its reset with find iPad off. Check over the device to ensure everything is up to your expectations.

11. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I got an iPad 3 from Craigs list. Just use common sense and be safe. Not everyone in the world is out to take you for a ride... just be careful of the ones that are. Will your contact meet you at an Apple store? That sounds like the best and safest bet.

12. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

- Waiting a few months to buy from Apple themselves is worth it. Especially when a refresh is somewhat around the corner.
    - You may taxes for everything else. So why not do the same with an iPad?
    - If you want the extra protection, then it's worth buying.
    - Same goes for a screen protector.

Do I think it's worth it?

NO. Just be a smart person and wait until November and buy it from APPLE. I'm tired of seeing these threads where people ask for advice with buying an Apple product from a third-party website, and later complain there is something wrong with it, or it's passcode locked.

Money isn't the issue when you're actually willing to buy an expensive product anyways. Spending more shouldn't be that much of a hassle for you to go out of your way and risk something just to get it cheaper.

13. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

You can find some deals for ~$250. Just check the serial number and ensure it doesn't have activation lock enabled.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

This is the route to go, for $39 more you get a 1 year warranty and peace of mind knowing you're not going to have issues. For me, $40 is worth it!

This is an eBay issue, but this poor person is having issues buying a used iPad.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1744753

15. 617aircav Suspended

I buy lots of electronics on CL but would never pay $300 for an iPad mini ret on CL. No more than $250.