Thinking of buying my first mac, specially to manage my pictures, any thoughts on what model to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coreyboulet, Feb 15, 2019.

1. coreyboulet macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I'm thinking about buying a mac to manage my pictures. I'm sick of those buggy exports to windows and I would love to have something that is more compatible with my phone.

- Is this a bad idea? (iPhoto has great reviews everywhere, but mayble I'm missing something)
    - What would be the minimum requirement to have a non laggy and pleasant experience? is a 2011 macbook from craiglist powerful enough? what about those old Mac Mini?

Thank you for your time, if you think I should have posted this somewhere else please let me know.

Great week end to you all!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

A iMac, Mac mini, or even MBP would do the job. If you do get an older machine, I would advise connecting a SSD drive to it to boot from if it doesn't have one already.

If all you are going to do is use the computer as a photo server and do some light processing from time to time, a older Mac will fit your need.

What is your budget?

3. coreyboulet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply !

I was hoping something around $500. I see a lot of 5Y+ computer on facebook market that fit this range. I feel like it would be a better idea to get a mac mini (since I have screens that I could just connect to it and I don't need mobility) is that wise ?

Thanks for your time !

Edit: for instance on the refurb I found : Refurbished Mac Mini 1.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 for 410$; what do you think?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I see you have looked at the Mac refurbed store. Good move. That mini will do what you are looking for but, with only 4GB oil RAM it will be limited and you may see a lot of beach balls. If you can come up with the extra $100, get the 2.6 Ghz i5 with 8GB RAM and a 1TB drive ($589). That will perform for you better, and enable you to do a little more with the computer, not to mention provide you with more longevity. If the extra $100 can't be had, then go with the $419. That way you have 1 year Apple warranty and you will get a machine that has been gone over with a fine tooth comb by Apple.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You really want something with an SSD. I’d recommend buying a 2012 13” MacBook Pro, as the used prices for those are very low due to market saturation (they were sold for many years).

Following this you can pay a little more for a SATA SSD if it doesn’t come with one and upgrade that. It’s a very quick upgrade to fit. The RAM would be dirt cheap and easy to upgrade as well if it doesn’t already come with 8GB RAM or more.

Furthermore due to EOL date being from ~5 years of last sold with Apple products, support for this model will likely end around 2021. I definitely think this is the best option for your $500 budget.

6. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I have Mac Mini (late 2012) upgraded with an SSD and 16 GB RAM.
    I don't use iPhoto, I use Adobe Lightroom and Phase Capture One Pro on Mac OS Mojave.
    For photo importing, cataloging and editing this machine works perfectly. This should be within your budget.
    The monitor I use with this Mac Mini is a Dell P2415Q 4K, it only runs at 30 Hz at 3840x2160. However I run it at 1080p with HiDPI (a retina display) at 30 Hz, and when watching videos at 60Hz I turnoff the HiDPI

7. coreyboulet thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello !

So I went with your recommendation and got the Refurbished Mac Mini 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, I'm exited to start :)

You told me to buy some ram and SSD, are you sure it is necessary?

Once again, thank you for your time!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2019 ---
    Hey! Thanks for your message, keysofanxiety mentioned getting a SSD as well, do you think that is really something I should do? you think the Refurbished Mac Mini 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 would be slowish without it?

Thanks !

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I hope you enjoy it. Glad I could be of help.

Unless your computer usage changes, you shouldn't need to add RAM or storage. If you do need to, it will be easy to just attach a SSD to a port on the mini.

9. coreyboulet thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, Thank youuuuuuu

10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

One thing to note with the late 2012 Mac Mini. This is my computer, and it works great (has a Fusion drive). However, it won't run Mac OS Mohave. High Sierra 10.13 is the latest OS it can handle. Which is fine, but something you should know.

Edit: I could be wrong on that. Mojave may be the final OS it will take. I thought I read it wouldn't run on it, but now I'm seeing differently...

11. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Yes, an SSD will make a huge difference in speed. Writing and opening applications will be significantly faster. Install MacOS in the SSD and all the applications. On the other hand, ordinary data like Office files, videos, photos, and music can be stored in a regular spinning drive with out compromising speed. I used this video from YouTube to install two drives inside the MacMini (How to Install a Second Drive in a 2011/2012 Mac mini with OWC's Data Doubler)

Mac OS Mojave runs in Mac Mini late 2012 with no issues on speed

12. MRrainer macrumors 65816

I think High Sierra is end-of-line for the 2011 Minis.

So, whatever comes this year might not work on our 2012 Minis. We'll get updates through 2020-ish and then it's time to open the wallet...

13. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Yeah, I didn't realize that, but I upgraded last weekend. For the first time in over 10 years, I did a fresh install and re-installed what I needed. My 2012 Mini works fantastic with it.