thinking of buying one of these macs! help ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by billyjoegibsonx, Feb 27, 2009.

1. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Hi, i'm browsing about ebay and i've found a few computers i'm interested in buying. I would like some advice and input on them, and some questions answered. so here they are! :

Apple 15" Power Book G4 1.25Ghz

RAM: 512MB
    HDD: 80GB

for £160 (free p&p)

would i easily be able to upgrade this to leopard then up to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7 when it's released, and then up to 10.6 (SL) ??

13" Macbook Air 1.8Ghz REV A

RAM: 2GB
    SSD: 64GB

with external superdrive/ethernet adapter

bidding is at £11 (£20 p&p), ends on 1st march

13" Macbook Air 1.86Ghz REV B

RAM: 2GB
    SSD: 80GB

at £51 (£15 p&p) ends on 2nd March

what one is the best one to try go for ? I honestly don't mind what one i get, i just need a new mac for at home for simple needs :)

any input and advice will be greatly welcomed :)

thank you

2. Googon macrumors member

I wouldn't go with the MacBook Air if you are just goingt o be using it at home. It'll cost close to a thousand more for it, and the portability you'll get from it will be useless unless you actually take it with you everywhere.

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I think you won't have problem going to leopard. But you're likely to get no support for Snow Leopard. Personally, price wise for a second machine that would be my choice, using it for 2-3 years and update to an Intel mac that would be around the same price.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/10.0.010; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I wouldn't put Leopard on the Powerbook. No chance it would run nearly as quickly as 10.4.x did on my 12" 1.0 ghz Powerbook. I also like the rev B MBA, even as a main machine for some people.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

my advice is none of these.

the macbook air is going to be too expensive for something that doesn't leave your home.

the powerbook is going to be obsolete within 1 year.

Look for a macbook.

6. cb31 macrumors member

I agree, I don't think Snow Leopard will even run on a G4 as it is Intel only.