Thinking of buying this SSD for 2011 MBP 15", opinions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfox, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Starfox macrumors regular

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

3. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Vertex 3 is the greatest

4. Starfox thread starter macrumors regular

It's, however, a whole 50% more expensive - I think that money could be better spent towards an 8 GB memory upgrade.

5. k43l macrumors member

I'd say get the SATA 2 SSD + the memory upgrade. You won't notice the difference between SATA 3 and SATA 2, maybe it boots up like 2 seconds faster...

I'm happy with my Intel 320 SATA 2...

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

There are issues with MBP + sandforce ssd. I'd stick with intel or owc

7. Ifti macrumors 68000

I have a Vertex 2 SSD, Sandforce controller, and have been running it for a year now. No problems whatsoever, and just as fast as day 1.

In fact, I only ever recommend SandForce contoller based SSDs to others, since they TRIM on-the-fly. This is a bonus considering the only current OS to support TRIM is Windows 7. Purchase an Indilinx, or any other controller SSD, and watch it slow down over time.

So, my friend, what exactly are these issues you speak of?

8. m4rk0 macrumors member

he refers to the newer sandforce controller which you don't have as it characterizes III gen ssd drives. issues are well documented in this forum.
    and yeah you can enable trim in os x using cindori's patcher. :)

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OWC uses the Sandforce controller.

10. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yeah intel, OWC if you can't get a stock Apple one.

Dont get the one u linked to op

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

TRIM has been supported on Linux since February 2010.

He may be referring to the well documented sleep/hibernation problems users here have had with Sandforce drives. There is a 500 post thread here about this problem with OWC Sandforce drives.

I think you may be oversimplifying the TRIM issue on newer SSDs. Any of the new SSDs have a TRIM-like function in firmware. Early testing seems to suggest the Sandforce controller is more aggressive in this respect, but it is inaccurate to imply other drives don't have this feature and will slow down over time with normal usage.

12. Starfox thread starter macrumors regular

That Intel SSD seems to have lower write speeds however.

13. Bobby Corwen, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

That's true. You'll probably be fine either way.

Intel just seems to have reportedly a smaller percentage of problems.

This is also the first time I personally have noticed anyone mention a Corsair SSD. I wasn't even aware there was one and dont see much talk about it.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

See my post on this topic here. Don't obsess too much over small differences in benchmarks. In actual usage you will be hard pressed to notice ANY difference among the newer SSDs. Get what is reliable and in your budget. Also, consider if the vendor offers a method to update firmware in a Mac. Intel, for example, offers a CDRom boot ISO that can update firmware in a Mac.

15. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

16. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

OWC uses sandforce, lol

17. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

OWC SSDs have Sandforce controllers. Thanks for the FUD though.

Problems have been reported with *some* Sandforce 1200 drives (Vertex 2, previous OWC drives etc). I have not seen many issues with the new Sandforce 2200 drives (Vertex 3, new OWC etc)

19. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Plenty of issues have been reported with the previous Sandforce drives (SF-1200) regarding sleep and hibernation. I do not understand your post.

20. m4rk0, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

m4rk0 macrumors member

this is a good thread to start with: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1122793

maybe my memory left me when i was trying to remember whether SF-1200 chip has full compatibility or not with snow leopard/mbp.

anyway, basically i was saying that SF-2200 ssd's have troubles when trim support is installed; if i remember correctly there are no issues * if you don't trim the hard drive.

i apologize, i didn't write correctly my second-last post. :rolleyes:

* on a side note, it seems that 2011 17" mbp has some odd behavior because of its cable routings, at least this is what owc says.

21. rolexman1008 macrumors newbie

Same experience here. Using a 320 160GB on a 2011 MBP 17 for a week.

My write speed is around 150MB/s using AJA Test.

Is that normal? Did not enable TRIM though?

22. Starfox thread starter macrumors regular

What now?..

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Get the Apple drive if you can. It is made by Toshiba and is their performance model. If not, stick with Intel, which is probably the most reliable drive on the market...(far more than the others mentioned in this thread). Don't worry about SATA3...they are wayyyyy overpriced, and existing SATA2 drives are fast enough that the real time speed difference between them and SATA3 is much less than people make it out to be. From a reliability standpoint, the Intel X-25 is the unquestionable champion (if you go by user reviews and long tern tests).

24. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Ok, now we're on the same page.

Agreed on SF-2200:
    * odd problems reported when TRIM is enabled - it seems better to not enable it.
    * odd problems reported with SATA III drives in general - seems to be related to the choice of cable in the MBP

I would go with the new Intel 320. At least they seem to work. I don't believe that the average user will note the difference in performance.