Thinking of cancelling my 16 gb wifi order to get 16 gb 4g . should i?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hasanahmad, Mar 7, 2012.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 6502a

Sell the 4G one for me. My friend said It would be good whenever I am out of the house plus I can use the gps. what are the other advantages

2. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 6502a

whyyyyy

3. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

First off LTE when you want.
    Secend Wifi iPad does NOT include GPS

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

5. MrKennedy macrumors member

It depends how you see yourself using it.

I don't think we have to "sell" you on it. Only you can make the right decision.

6. Smithwicks macrumors regular

Personally i'll just use my iphone when wifi isnt available (rare)

7. mikepro macrumors 6502

no

If you end up needing it, get a 4g mifi or something.

8. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

If you are always on the go, then the 4G might be worth it. When the first iPad came out I went 3G thinking I was going to use it. I was wrong. Never did at all. iPad 2 and this iPad are wifi only. No need for another bill with 4G even though it's month to month.

9. gwen1o macrumors member

gwen1o

I've had (or am about to have) all three versions of the iPad, and all had 3 (or now 4)G. My thought is why risk it? Remember, no 4G contract required.

I like knowing that I can browse the web or check my email on my iPad while out and about. Who wants to worry whether you've got coverage or not? We're talking $30 a month - no contract.

Our youngest son has an iPod, which is wifi only, of course. He is continually disappointed to realize that he can't download a song while riding in the car, or some similar situation.

Go with the 4G.

10. thelead macrumors 6502

Even if you will never use the 4G, if you ever want to use the iPad as a gps, you'll need the 4G version.

11. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

12. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok. If I have an iPhone already. Do I then need a 4G iPad for using GPS?

13. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

What does that even mean?
    You'll need a 4G iPad to use GPS on your iPad..

14. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 6502a

It means if I have an iPhone which uses a gps, do I need a 4G iPad for GPS purposes. I want to get an idea of real life examples

15. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Well, how can we answer that? If you had GPS on both your iPad and iPhone, which would you probably tend to use more?

I'm going to assume that, no, you probably won't need GPS on your iPad since you more than likely will have your phone on you more often than having your iPad on you.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm in the exact same position. Not sure what to do. My original iPad does not have 3G/4G, but I rarely even use it.

I never kept an iPad 2 due to backlight bleed, I did try 3G on it. It was impressive, but I'm not going to pay to use it during the parts of the year I am at home or work with wi-fi.

There is the up front cost, and then I would maybe 1 week a year combined on vacations use? Hum..is it worth $140 for one week a year, plus the extra $30 during that week? Therefore, I'd end up out of pocket an extra $170 during the year.

Not sure. Maybe not worth it, but I am tempted.

I'm keeping my Wi-Fi order for now.

If you had to, you could always return the Wi-Fi to Apple within the 14 day window, and order a 4G. You'd just have to wait for the 4G to arrive if they end up out of stock a while.

3G is one thing, but then again...for Tom Tom, why would I use iPad instead of iPhone 4s? It might be worth it NOT to get 4G version just so you aren't tempted to sign up for a month of 4G service to test it out, costing you another $30!

17. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

If you use the iPhones wifi tethering, the iPad can use the iPhone's gps as well.

18. thelead macrumors 6502

but it only updates every ~ minute or so right? If so, it's not the ideal gps situation.

19. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Originally ordered 32GB Wifi iPad. Just cancelled and got the same size but with 4G. I think I'll be happier in the long run. I've been debating back and forth all day since I ordered earlier.

20. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

The 4g is one of the big new feature upgrades for the new iPad.. it makes sense to me to get the iPad that includes it.

21. rosemary1 macrumors regular

Yes. As a person who knows nothing about you, I have no problem telling you to spend more money. Do it.

22. Laserawesome macrumors member

My 2 cents:
    TL: DR- Its not worth the extra cost to get 4G if you own an iPhone, have other GPS options and don't plan on being away from wifi that often.

I've been having the same dilemma. Before the release I had wavered back and forth about wifi or 4g. I own an 32gig iphone 4 and purchased my first Ipad 2 32G wifi a month ago and returned it 2 weeks later so I could purchase the Ipad 3 instead.

After using the Ipad 2 for 2 weeks I knew that I had to move up to 64g. 32 gigs isn't enough room for me and the hundred dollars was worth it to double the space.

Today I pre-ordered a 64 gig Wifi Ipad 3. Since then I have been wondering if I made the right decision with wifi only. Will I need the 4G and will I feel like I made a mistake not getting it? Here's the conclusion I came to:

I plan on mostly using the iPad at home where I have wifi and eventually at grad school, where wifi is also ubiquitous. I don't travel for business and when I travel by air for vacation I plan on having any movies that I plan to watch already downloaded on my iPad. Most hotels nowadays have wifi as well. Will I miss the GPS? No, because I have GPS built in to my cars, and I have an iPhone for which I'm already paying for an unlimited data plan for back up GPS if I rent a car. I don't plan on lugging my iPad everywhere I go when I am out shopping or around town, and the phone is much easier to carry so that covers the web when I'm out.

The only time I can see using the 4G is if I happen to have the iPad with me outside of my house and not near wifi, and I really want to surf the web to look at something that I need to see with a bigger screen than a phone. I don't foresee this happening often except when I am at my home up in Maine but in that case 4G isn't even available anyway. In that case I also would worry that I could easily run up a huge data bill as well. If I really needed it I could probably find a coffee shop that has wifi.

I feel like I'm already splurging getting the 64 gig iPad, so is it worth 130 bucks to add 4G? For 829 bucks I feel like might as well get a macbook air. Thats a very expensive tablet. So in the end, my conclusion is that its not worth the extra 130+data just to use the 4G a couple times when I don't feel like using my iPhone. If I didn't own an iPhone 4 then maybe.

----------

I was thinking about this as well, but that is not a good reason to get it. What is new today will be old tomorrow. You shouldn't buy something just because its new- that usually leads to buyer's remorse down the road. Buy it if you need it.

23. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Yes Laser that is a good point.. but by that reasoning I would never have ordered the new iPad. I don't really need it either I just enjoy having it.

24. Radio macrumors 68000

Thank u

I've been going back and forth as well -LTE or wifi 32 gb

I did travel often for work and it will only be less. I would pursue reimbursement if I used the 3G.

But the reality is I use tethering with my iPhone to my iPad 2 and it worked well.

Sure I don't have gps but IMO its not worth $130

So really I'll stick with the wifi