All iPads Thinking of getting iPad Air or miniR, but concerned about staleness of iOS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by red321red321, Nov 25, 2013.

1. red321red321 macrumors regular

Thinking of getting iPad Air or miniR, but concerned about staleness of iOS. How do folks feel. Is there anything the new iPads can do that my iPad 2 cannot do?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean staleness - we're talking about an operating system, not bread.

If the platform offers you the apps, and services that fit your need, then get the tablet. For iOS, its a robust operating system, that offers a ton of apps, I see no reason to avoid the iPad air or mini.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

In short, no.

Faster network. Faster CPU. Siri. Airdrop. Higher pixel density display. But those are all superficial.

Raw capability with apps. iPad2 can still chug along.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Aside from the massive hardware spec differences in screen and processor, iOS 7 on an iPad 2 is missing

Siri
    HDR mode in the Camera app
    AirDrop
    Video sharing via PhotoStream
    FaceTime over a cellular network

So if the slow performance, lack of retina, and the above features don't matter to you, then your iPad 2 is just fine.

5. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

My miniR makes buttered toast in the morning and tucks my kids into bed at nighttime. I'm hoping the next iPad adds the killer feature to include jam on my toast. I've pretty sure those features weren't included in the original iPad 2 release.

Seriously, the iPad 1 was revolutionary, everything since then is evolutionary and that's to be expected.

6. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Fingerprint Scanner

There may be a difference when they include the fingerprint scanner on all iDevices and include that for purchases, or anything else that would normally take a password.

I think the current iDevices will still last for a few years...even if you don't upgrade the iOS.