Thinking of getting iPhone 4... (Q's regarding iOS6)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JR1993, Jul 17, 2012.

1. JR1993 macrumors regular

Hello

My contract with 3 is ready to be upgraded. Currently, it looks like one of my best options is going for the iPhone 4. Im not too bothered about having the latest thing as I know I would to be stupid to pay so much more for a 4S or wait for the 5 when they only bring features I dont need. (it may be worth noting Im a student...)

(Note: This is the question, the rest is pointless really)
    One of the main things I need on a phone is Maps. With iOS6, I have seen that iPhone 4 will not get 'Flyover & Turn by Turn', which doesnt bother me. However, nothing is mentioned about whether it will be left with Google Maps, or just the same as the 4S, with these features disabled.

Also, just to stop people suggesting this, the reason im not looking at HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy II/III etc is because theyre all too big! (practically, I cant have anything much bigger than the iPhone 4).

Thanks, Joe

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Even if Google's maps are not available, there will always be 3rd party apps to give you what you need for navigation.

Waze, for instance, works great and it's free.

Of course, for the best deal, (if possible) you should wait it out for the next iPhone to be released and than pick up either a 4 or 4S for less than they're going for now.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

I believe it'll have Apple's new maps, just without the 3D and turn-by-turn. I also think it has the old way of navigation, where it shows your current location and your destination.

As said above, Waze is a great free alternative which has turn-by-turn voice nav. There are also some apps by Garmin and TomTom which you can pay for.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This is what I would do (assuming you don't need the phone in the next month or three).

5. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice so far. Maps are mainly used for navigation when out cycling, which I basically just need to see a map, not sat-nav style. So all looks good.

This is also what I would love to do, but when buying a Macbook Air, I was also considering a Pro, near to a supposed new launch. There were many reliable sources said it would be released when it wasnt, and that went on for a while. I think I may as well just get the iPhone 4 now really... I will see what I'm offered tomorrow when I can upgrade.

Thanks again :)

6. Furifo macrumors 6502

How much are you currently paying? 3 offered my mum a nice contract with a 4S for £31/month but she wants to hold out for the new iPhone so she's sticking to her 3GS till then.

3 do some really good contracts - I know you mentioned you are a student and don't care for the features of the 4S but I think you might be able to negotiate a nice contract out of 3 and get a 4S - the specs should last you longer in the long run when compared to an iPhone 4.

7. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I'm currently paying £20pm (on a Wildfire). I know prices go up and I wanted a better phone, so I originally said that I would be prepared to pay £25pm. Then I found the iPhone 4 on Ultimate Internet 500 for £27pm, with £139 upfront for 32GB. I thought, as its an iPhone, I would allow myself to spend that little bit more, knowing it would still be a good phone in 2 years, and I should get an OK return when selling it.

I called 3 this morning to enquire, and they kept pushing for higher priced contracts, maybe it was just the person I talked to...

Tomorrow, I can actually upgrade, so I will phone and push for the best possible deal. They did mention £31 for 4S on the One Plan, but I just see the extra £4pm as unnecessary as I dont need the minutes, tethering ability, or features of the 4S.