Thinking of getting the 128SSD with my new MBP15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prochembro, Jun 12, 2011.

1. prochembro macrumors newbie

But!

Just needed to know out of the box, how much space would I have?

I plan on installing Adobe's Master Suite, MS Office, Maya, starcraft 2 and a few other medium sized apps. I estimate all of this should be around 15GB's max.

Also, plan on transferring 30GB of photos and 15GB of MP3s.

So after putting approximately 60GB of my stuff how much of that 128GB would be available?

Just so you all know. I think 128GB is quite livable. I've become quite used to my 80GB older (2007) laptop. The only reason anyone really needs extra space is for movies and pictures. Those of which can easily be stored on an external drive.

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

128 is fine if you have somewhere else to store your bigger stuff. I like having everything on one machine (with a NAS for software images and backup), so I can't live in less than 500GB.

Don't forget, though, that 128GB is not actually 128GB because of the 1024/1000 conversion. Your actual free space is going to be around 118GB.

3. prochembro thread starter macrumors newbie

Ofcourse....thanks.

I still need to know how much space is avialable out of the box. Meaning how space is left over for me to use after Apple ships it with the standard preinstalled SW and OSX.

Assume I didn't purchase any pre-installed software options with the MBP.

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

OS lion takes 7.4 GB. Note this is for 10.6.0. No idea how much the patches will eat up. Lets keep it at 9 GB.:D

5. aluren macrumors 65816

I thought Starcraft 2 itself is already 10Gb? Well if you do an optibay with your original HD then you shouldn't have to worry about space.

6. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I think the 120GB will be enough, you should have ~40GB (maybe 50GB) left after you've installed everything.

I might suggest you purchase a 1TB FW800 external drive, not only for a Time Machine backup, but also as a drive to store other large files on rather than your SSD (movies etc).

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

The Master Collection alone takes up 10GB, not to mention the random databases and libraries it likes to install (another 1-5GB). Starcraft 2 is 10GB without patches. Maya... Well, that's a Windows product. If you want to use Maya, you'll have to install Boot Camp and Windows which is another 10-15GB plus the 10GB required for Maya.

So for software, you're looking at 25-50GB right there. Add in your 45GB of content plus 9GB for OS X and you're looking at around 33-58GB left.

8. icbreeze macrumors member

I bought the 128SSD from apple for my 15" Anti-Glare MBP, don't regret it since.

I keep all my loose stuff i.e. movies, tv shows and photos on an network drive so i can share it around the home. My 15" contains the Master Collection CS5, 3d Rendering programs and etc.. still left with about a solid 60-70GB free.

I basically see my laptop as a shell of a computer to access all my uni work and do the my 3d work over it. That way it keeps my computer from becoming too bloated and slowing down too fast.

Reason why i purchased the 128SSD,
    1) future proof it, since it is going to eventually be implemented in the upcoming mbps
    2) SSD runs soo much faster, more so that i have to soon upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB to match the amount of applications im able to multitask. I run more 8 applications simultaneously including office suites, adobe cs suite and safari with 20 tabs open.
    3) well lol it was pretty cheap deal in Australia, got it for $100 AUD where as the other brands were boarding $200+ just for a 64GB SSD

so yea i vouch for a 128SSD option, obviously later on in the future if i still feel that it's too slow i'll be a crazy idiot and upgrade the RAM to 16GB and buy a bigger SSD. But i think what i have now should last me for 2-3yrs. =]

Btw: lacie is coming out with the portable thunderbolt drives pretty soon, why not save the money and spend it on that, that way you get a cheaper computer with an external drive that boots super fast + you probably be able to boot win7 off that easily with the amount GB transfer rates :D

9. prochembro thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right about SC2 and Adobe MS CS5.5....they're about 25GB max with patches etc.

Maya is available on Mac...for a while now too. I'll reserve 15GB for this.

I'm looking at say 50GB of SW, 45GB of my Stuff and 10GB for the OS.

That leaves....118-105...roughly 15GBs free......hmm.

Not sure if I can live with that constraint.

10. AMacbook macrumors member

11. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Didn't realize Maya was 64-bit only. That's why I didn't see it was for OS X. My mistake. They say it takes 10GB or so.

Don't forget other programs that you may install along the way in addition to random storage and document storage. I personally wouldn't take the risk as tempting as the SSD is.