Thinking of going back to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yly3, Jun 9, 2012.

1. yly3 macrumors 6502

Had a 64gb 4S since release date. Battery was ok for the first 4 months unpluging it at 8 am, could go on to 11pm and still have around 20-30% which was acceptable for me, although my ex iPhone 4 under the same usage was around 40-50% at that time.

Anyway, after the 5.1 update things got worse. Battery was holding until only until 7-8 pm which was at the limit for me but I said I'll keep it since I really enjoy the 64 and 1080p.

5.1.1 actually made it unbearable for me and at 1 PM I am at 50% and I don't even game, just text browsing, whatsapp and mail. Ocasional YouTube but no more than 40 minutes a day.

Luckily, got my phone exchanged with Apple Care and it came out with 5.1 and thought to keep it for a couple days that way. Very slightly better, but still not satisfied. Today updated to 5.1.1 and again it's *********.

I feel like on a 2010 Android phone.

I miss the days of the i4 with 4.3.3 when I was loosing 2% over night at most and could hold the phone for 2 days.
    Besides, I do not know for how long I will be able to find an sealed 32gb iPhone 4. These are already pretty rare it seems.

Before my first iPhone (the 4th) I had a Nokia E71 for 2.5 years because it had great battery and it just worked (in Symbian standards anyway).
    I loved the 4 because it did just that, only million times better.

How is your 4S battery ? Be honest.

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Battery life on my 4s is exactly the same as the battery life was in my 4. I'd make genius bar appt if your battery life has drastically changed that much. Or try uninstalling some apps an determine if one of them is prematurely draining your battery. For example, Skype is notorious for vamping the battery.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It's probably your iCloud account or one of your mail accounts that's using so much energy.

4. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I doubt it. Besides I made a restore with set as new phone and problem does persist with barely
    any apps installed.
    I am typing this on my 2nd phone right now and after 5 hours I am at 29% ..

5. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

The 4S is my first iPhone. best battery life ever on a cell for me. In your case, I'd make an appt with genius bar.

6. borcanm macrumors regular

Close down your apps. All apps that you open on the iphone will run in the background even when you turn off the phone or switch to doing something else. Just shut off apps when your done using them.

7. chokem macrumors 6502

My battery life is about 10% worse on this 4S than it was on my i4. I was expecting it to be better so I was a little disappointed. But I have had it since release day and have adjusted to it. For me it's not a deal breaker.

8. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, just try it. For one day: turn off iCloud and delete all mail accounts from your iPhone. I think that you'll see a big improvement.

9. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Just...no. You do not need to micro-manage your apps in iOS unless, in my experience, you are using some sort of tracking you all the time GPS function (Latitude, geo-fencing Reminders, etc)

In fact, one of the big differences between Android and iOS is that iOS DOESN'T allow all those apps to just sit in the back chugging away.

I wish I could remember where I saw this excellent video done to show how iOS deals with background processes.

10. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I have to charge my 4S daily. Definitely not as good as the Iphone 4 battery.

Sometimes when it's 1% it lasts ages and sometimes it can be 3% and shut down. The % bar is rarely that accurate and unpredictable.

Use 3G and it goes down in a few hours. Same with pictures/video.

The battery is very poor though worse than most phones over the years. I think the N95 never lasted long either.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You might want to check this Link out to better understand what multitasking does on the iOS.

There is no need to double click home and to quit the apps unless you know it's running in the background, such as navigation apps.

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yeah you only need to Sign out of a few voip apps, not even close them, such as skype. Although I only lose about 30% overnight when leaving skype running all the time, so I don't even close it.

Fetch email however, seems to waste a lot of battery on the iphone 3G so I havn't used fetch with my iphone 4, but maybe that's been changed since iphone OS 2.

13. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Definitely don't go back. I did for a time and quickly regretted it. I noticed the speed difference and the pics didn't look as good. The 4 just felt sluggish to me compared to the 4S.

Now this may not matter to you. If not, it's your decision.

Oh, I did go back to the 4S for the reasons I stated above.