Thinking of going to Sri Lanka soon. Been there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by patent10021, Nov 22, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I'm wondering if it's like the Maldives? Photos of the Maldives look amazing. My Mum's friend from Sri Lanka invited us out to their awesome place for as long as we want to stay. They would be our guides through India too if we wanted. They speak Tamil there but do they speak the same Hindi? I want to learn some Hindi for India before I go but don't know if I can use it in Sri Lanka.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

Only thing I know about Sri Lanka is that my mattress was made from the latex trees there. It's very comfortable. :-/

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Arthur C. Clark lived there.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Never been but apparently there's quite a tropical (i.e. humid and hot) climate there as well. I'm not sure whether this is any use...

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whereabouts are you going in Sri Lanka? I lived there for some time just before the war broke out, in 1980-81.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I've been to India, but not Sri Lanka.
    They speak many different languages in India, so it depends on where you go. Some places will speak Hindi, some will speak Gujuratri, Pubjabi, Malayalam, etc.

According to Wikipedia, Hindi is not an official language of Sri Lanka, so I'm not sure if it will be that useful.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hindi won't do you any good in Sri Lanka. Singhalese and Tamil are the languages, with a smattering of English thrown in.

8. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Hindi will be useless

Besides Goa is better