Thinking of Jailbreaking phone, but have some questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SandersHokie, Aug 27, 2008.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

What is the best/most popular website that will explain how to jailbreak my iphone 3G?

Also, what is the most popular/best website for items & themes I can download for my jailbroken phone.

If I do not like it, all i need to do is hook my iPhone up to my laptop and click restore on i tunes? After I do that how would I get everything back that I have on it now after I back it up? Would I just sync it with my iPhone?

Also, what are the negative & positive things of jailbreaking an iPhone now?

2. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

also, is there an official site that will tell me what the most up to date version of jailbreak is out?

3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

also, how do you know what actual version of the iPhone software you are using?

i.e., if I have the Jailbreak version of 2.0, how would I know what iPhone version I am using?

4. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

and one more :)

when I want to update a jailbroken iphone to the newest firmware, do I have to restore the iPhone, or how does that work?

5. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

if you have a Mac, use Pwnage.
    if you have Windows, use Winpwn.

check out ipodtouchfans.com for all you jailbreaking needs. (yes, even if you have an iPhone.) also iphonefanatics.com (much younger site with fewer member started by the same guy) hackintosh.org is good as well.

iphonealley.com is a good resource as well.

as is the iPhone Dev Team's blog (they made Pwnage)

to see your software version, go to Settings>General>About

for the 2.0 software when you have a Mac, currently the only way to JB is by creating a custom ipsw of the firmware version you want to use and restore to it. on a PC, you can do that, or use Quickpwn and simply jailbreak without having to restore. but that's only for windows machines.

when you update to a new firmware release, you will lose your jailbreak.

to go back to stock, stick it in DFU and restore, or just simply restore. (i prefer to use DFU)

7. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so when they jailbreak say, version 2.2 for iPhone and I want to upgrade to the new version of jailbreak, will i be able to keep all my applications.

When I upgrade the jailbroken version, will I be able to keep iNES? Or will I lose everything when you have to upgrade to a new jailbroken version.

also, how do you find out what the latest jailbreak version is?

thanks again.