Thinking of moving to O2 from Orange (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Holte139, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Holte139 macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I'm currently with Orange, and in December 2010 I got the iPhone 4. I upgraded early from my contract at the time, so the length of my contract was 24 months plus the 3 left over from the early upgrade.

However, over the last few months, I've been getting more and more annoyed with Orange. I originally signed up for a £30 per month contract, but the VAT rises wiped that out so I'm now paying £37 per month with no change in service.

I've noticed a great deal on the O2 website that I would like to join, with is for £31 per month with an one-off handset charge of £159.99, but before I join I've got 2 questions and it would be great if anyone who's on O2 could answer them.

Does that £31 per month include VAT? If so then that's a great saving for me which makes it even more tempting.

Also, what about wifi? I've read that that deal is combined for mobile Internet and wifi usage, but to be honest I don't see why I should pay twice for the Internet I get at home, I'd prefer to be able to use my home Internet for free.

If anyone could answer these queries I'd be really grateful.

2. lepeos macrumors member

The price includes VAT. Your question about Wifi is sort of gibberish. The tariffs all come with 1GB of 3G data, any mention of Wifi is in regards to O2 offering connection to BT Openzone hotspots as well. Wifi is a feature of the phone.

3. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. My apologies, what I'm trying to say really is, is wifi usage unlimited like the calls and texts are? As you say, the deal only really talks about 3G, but will I be using my data, for example, when I'm browsing the web on my home connection, as part of my contract or will I be charged separately for it?

4. lepeos macrumors member

When you are connected to Wifi you use that 'usage'. When you are not on Wifi you will be using the 1GB of 3G usage.

5. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Just a heads up.
    I used to be on O2 but changed to Three around 14 months ago as O2's 3G signal and speed wasn't very good.

6. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I can recommend o2.

I've been with them since my iPhone 3G in 2008, and had no problems with them at all.

As for Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi included with the package will be for o2's wifi hotpots that are scattered here and there, never used them as for me they're too much hassle and i'd rather just connect via 3G.

Also, my joining o2 you'll be able to use visual voicemail as intended, as seen in the original iPhone unveiling in 2007 :D

I'll be going on a 12 month simplicity deal next week when my iPhone 5 comes.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There is an option for a bolt on with O2 to get an extra gig of data it's less than a fiver if you do it when taking out contract or more than £8 if you take it later.

8. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for your comments. So it turns out that I won't be charged extra for using my home wifi network? That's even better, I'm definitely moving now!

daveishere - Thanks for that, it just seems like much better value for money compared to what I'm currently getting with Orange.

PhazonUK - I did think about them but for me 3G is very poor on Orange, surely it can't be any worse!