Thinking of returning an IP5 S Gold...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eosblue, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Eosblue macrumors member

I ordered 2 IPs 5 S on early Friday (10 minutes after midnight) on opening day which we received on Monday.

My wife is not too happy with her new Gold/Silver 5 S for various reasons that I won't go into here. She's thinking of going back to her IP4 S. Her phone is the 2nd on our shared plan ($10 for the phone and $15 for her data).

Rather than returning it, I'm thinking of selling it on eBay. The phone was a full upgrade at ($199). I'm wondering if I'm looking for static from ATT/Apple if I were to do this. Effectively, I would be on the cuff for 24 months for this phone, but the monthly price should still be $25 plus tax whether she uses the 4 S or the 5 S.

Anyone know what my downside would be if I were to sell the 5S on eBay? If I were to return it, my wife's free upgrade would be put back in place for possible upgrade to the IP6 whenever it come out (Fall of '14?).

2. kenknotts macrumors 6502

Sell it! You will make a ton. I paid $1225 for my gold 64gb Verizon. Seen them going for even more than that too.

3. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Probably best to sell it and bank the money. Then you can pay full price in fall of '14 and be out of the "contract trap."

4. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

lmao, you gotta be kidding dude. $1220 for a phone.....

5. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I still really want to sell my NIB Gold 5S 32GB but can only resort to Craigslist and am waiting still :(

eBay I cannot use.

6. kenknotts macrumors 6502

$900 for a phone seems ridiculous to most people too. Whats another $300? :)

7. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

Im just selling my iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5 to get the 5S off contract (which is the only option in australia) So i dont need a sim

8. eoblaed, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013

eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

However the anaemic term '5same' was worth sticking around for. Laughable. Anyone that thinks the 5S is the same, or even close to the same, device as the 5 clearly hasn't looked very closely at either the 5 or the 5S. (Pro-tip: the differences have nothing to do with the color scheme of the metal on the outside despite the ridiculous suggestions to the contrary in that pseudo-play above).

I owned my 5 for a year. I could tell within minutes of getting my 5S that it was an entirely different beast. My personal experience completely corroborated the numbers we'd been seeing floated around. The performance bump is significant. The camera improvements are as well. And Touch ID is a godsend.

Yes, the shape of 5S is the same as the shape of the 5. That's probably what's confusing the casual complainer. But anyone that's going to drop real cash on a mobile device like this is going to do look at what's important, and there they'll find the 5S is the real deal.

9. l0gikb0mb macrumors regular

Another $300 is another 1/3rd of the total cost. That's a lot.

You are Apple's favorite customer ;)

10. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Maybe it'd be easier to sell it if you weren't trying to scalp people? Just a thought.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

No, he/she is a scalper's favorite customer..

12. MH01, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013

MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

My 5s is arriving in October, though I was pleasantly surprised how good ios7 is on the iphone 5. Using my 5 and 5s in an apple store, the difference was very close in launching apps, general use. I did not try games as I did not have the same ones in both phones . Depending on usage, there are a lot of people who will not notice the difference between the 5 and 5s apart from the obvious camera and id scanner.

To be honest my iphone 5 feels like a new phone with ios7 so wondering if I need the 5s, I have 2-3 weeks to decide.

13. kenknotts macrumors 6502

It's ok. I make plenty of money so I can buy things I want. Thanks for the concern though!

14. Eosblue thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all that answered...

My main question though was "danced around". Does anyone know if I would get some blowback from ATT if I sold the new IP5 S immediately? With every upgrade from the 3G onward, I've sold the previous phone after only one year without any blowback.

When I got my new IP5 S activated (actually I had the number switched another cell phone to my primary cel which is now my IP5 S), the ATT guy asked where my IP5 was which I've only had for slightly less than a year). I told him I got rid of it and he didn't blink an eye even though it was still under contract for another year. I've done this before with almost every upgrade without a problem.

But I've NEVER sold a new model immediately. If I do trot down to the ATT store to get my wife's old IP (IP4 S) reactivated, they will probably ask me what happened to the IP 5 S that my wife is not wild about. This is where I'm wondering about "blowback"?

----------

Tough having to deal with Craigslist which is mostly populated with cheap buyers and Nigerian Scammers. On the other hand, eBay whacks 10% off the sale price.

15. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Couldn't you just claim that it was smashed/lost/stolen and be done with it?

16. kenknotts macrumors 6502

Its none of their business what happened to the 5s, they dont own the phone. Who cares?

17. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No issues with selling it. If you can really get several hundred dollars over full retail, go for it. That's hundreds of dollars direct in your pocket. If she wants to upgrade in the future you can still pay full price and come out ahead.

19. Loqui1286 macrumors newbie

The saying, "A fool and his money" comes to mind here.

20. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

They do not care what you do on your phone. Once you paid the subsidized price that covers the first half of their overall gross margin. The second half comes from your monthly service. They will only give you "blowback" if you terminated your line............... And even then that'll come in the form of an ETF fee. You're fine............

While we are the subject........ how much would you be selling it for??????

21. troyhouse macrumors 6502

why cannot you use ebay?

22. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

There are a ton for sale on ebay and they are not going for that much. You might get lucky, but I see a lot of them being sold at or slightly above cost by the time you figure in ebay fees. I have a 16BG silver on craigslist right now and I just have it marked up a little and I've had no interest.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Oh, that's embarrassing...

24. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

AT&T do not care why you are returning a phone. As long as it's not broken, they don't care.

Return it. Restore your upgrade eligibility. Unless you have a friend or something that wants to give you top dollar for it, I would not mess with CL (you'll probably get knifed) or eBay (you'll probably run up on some unsavory character who will try to cheat you).

The iPhone Gold madness has gone way over the top.

Why doesn't your wife just want another 5s in a different color?

25. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

No. Pretty much the same less the fingerprint id. Pictures look similar, OS runs similar. Not worth an upgrade from a 5 by any stretch.