Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Thinking of Returning Apple Watch 6

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
Had this since release day, I was on series 4 and I am struggling with the justification for keeping it.

At the time I could not get the loop to go with it, so took an alternative which has not been opened and is still sealed.

Interested in opinions regarding upgrade from 4 to 6, anyone else questioning the value?

I did think about getting a 5 but the prices seem silly amazon are advertising a GPS 44mm for £429 when Apple charged me £409.

John Lewis are selling at £379 - so for £30 extra get a 6 - crazy prices.

Opinions please, help me decide.

Does the blood oxygen feature work as advertised? This feature would be nice for detecting covid. If not, I see no point in keeping a device that is almost identical to the 4 minus some slight upgrades.

Comment

Black Magic

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2012
In the end only you can decide what works for you. From a $ standpoint I personally decided the watch was my one purchase that probably is not a “need” that I will make because I love tech and fitness. What justifies the upgrade yearly to me is depreciation and resale especially when I compare AW to Fitbit. I’ve yet to have to pay full price for an Apple Watch because I usually get 60-75% of retail price which puts my yearly upgrade cost at what it would be at to buy a Fitbit every year give or take. But not everyone is into doing that.

How are you getting this huge discount? I assume you are buying the aluminum version yearly?

Reactions: Agile55
Comment

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Went from S4 to S6 and picked the Blue Alum casing.
Love it and never look back!

77B33A2F-6221-4153-A65F-13E83F2E8944.jpeg

Comment

mlody

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
My wife upgraded from S2 to S6 - huge upgrade. I have S4. I could not see and would not even think of upgrading to S6 from S4 - neither AOD, nor oximeter are important to me, everything else is useless fluff. Keep your S4 and money in the pocket for something more enjoyable.

Comment

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
My wife smashed her S3 aluminum a few months ago so this was a perfect opportunity to give her my S4 SS and get the S6 SS. For me the AOD is totally worth the upgrade, in addition the new watch fixed the reminders syncing problem that I had with my S4 since last year. Very happy so far...

Comment

minimo3

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
I have an S5. For those who think AOD is an important feature and live in countries where the weather is turning cold: AOD’s utility diminishes because between Oct to April you’ll be wearing a long sleeved shirt plus maybe a coat that covers the watch. To see the screen you have to pull your sleeve up and flick your wrist toward you anyway (which would trigger the screen on a non AOD S3 or S4). In winter months my watch is mostly used as a haptic notification. By the time I have to pull up my sleeve I might as well pick up my phone and see a bigger screen with the message.

• Wow
Reactions: Agile55 and basher
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.