Thinking of revamping my iTunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Totty1987, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I'm looking to revamp my library and possibly increase the bit rates of the tracks to 256kbps. My music is currently encoded in 128kbps mp3, but I would like slightly better quality. However I have a 64gb and I'm currently able to fit my entire library on it, which is pleasing.
    I have 13,600 tracks, so I'm unsure whether I should go ahead with the re-encoding.
    What's the best balance between size and quality for a device(iphone) with finite
    space

All views are welcome. Thanx

2. Electronicm macrumors newbie

I can only imagine you have the original source material to compress it from, re-encoding from a lower bitrate file wont do you any more good then a placebo effect.
    just a quick bit of compression science
    compression works by sheering off sound frequencies starting with the ones that aren't heard and so on, the higher the compression rate the more frequencies taken out. once out they cant be added back in.
    secondly. you probably wont notice a difference if your listening to it in earbuds or personal headphones. some percussion elements might sound a bit cleaner but that would be about it.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I agree, you would have to re-rip from source. And would you really be able to tell a difference through the speakers/earbuds you are using?

4. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I doubt it.

Currently my iTunes library is on an external hard drive, but as my mac has over 400gb of space available, I would like to have the library on the mac's hard drive. I've also been having problems with exclamation marks appearing beside some songs in library and I'm not sure if this is due to the library and music files being stored on the external drive?

5. Electronicm macrumors newbie

I store all my music on a external drive as well. Occasionally I'll get the exclamation mark of extreme annoyance when
    : i forget i dont have my hard drive on *obviously*
    : move a file
    : Dont give the external enough time to boot up before selecting a song to play. (its a older drive)
    the main annoyance is itunes isnt satisfied with just the song i tried to play it'll run thru my entire library if i let it, marking every last one.

the only way i found to fix this is to hit play on each song thats marked after the external is hooked up. hopefully thats the problem your experiencing?

6. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

The exclamation mark means that the file path for that specified file is not working. This happens if your Ex HD is not on, and you open iTunes and try to play a track. Close iTunes, turn on Ex HD, and then try again.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios