thinking of selling '12 MBA for '11 15" MBP... thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GD0X, Oct 7, 2012.

1. GD0X Guest

so, aside from a number of complaints... i love my macbook air. keyboard, size, weight (able to grip to one hand... omg), SSD, and thinness.

... yet, also some letdowns. although the screen is quite nice, i need more resolution and less glare; i'm in lecture halls all day and this semi-gloss screen is starting to bug me... a month in. I accepted the lack of legacy ports and such when i bought it this machine, but attempting to start a small repair business at school with lack of superdrive and ethernet port will soon be an annoyance (not buying adaptors). processor speed.... its alright for the majority of my work, but while waiting for videos to process the wait is killing me on the inside... performance is a must for me. running out of space only owning this for a few months, gah... need upgradability. i play starcraft 2, need a dedicated card, but i must admit the 4000 is not bad, at all haha.

so as you can see, im looking for a different machine. im looking at this...http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=734962

considering apple's refurb is $50+ more. ill be adding an intel ssd and more ram instantly.

so aside from the weight and size differences, what type of benefits can i expect to receive? Im going from ivy to sandy, though quad core, but what type of % increase can i expect? immmm, 6750 vs 650m in the new MBP, i heard 15-20% faster? should i go with a glossy, lower res screen and save 250 or so? too many thoughts....

2. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

That's the exact model of MBP I have. I maxed it out with a samsung 830 ssd and 16gb of ram. This machine FLIES! 64bit Geekbench is just over 12,000, that exceeds the base 2.3 RMBP (the high end 2.0 2012 air is just over 7000). . You won't be disappointed. It's an excellent computer, great screen, tried and tested design (no 1st gen issues). Go with the highres anti glare for sure, especially if you are annoyed by the glare on the air as the glare will be worse on the base 15 screen.