Thinking of selling Air for Retina Pro, Insight Needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhyno37, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

EDIT: Note, I am looking at the 13" base 128gb MBPr

Hey guys, so I recently took advantage of the Bestbuy MBA sale + $150 off for students + 10% off USPS coupon. So I got the MBA for about $700 total. I've been loving OSX so far, but have a few dislikes about the MBA. First and most important, the screen. I didn't think I'd mind the lower resolution, but after being surround by other retina screens (iphone and ipad), it definitely disappoints me. I also much prefer IPS (like my main desktop) to TN panels. I also dislike the silver around the screen, as opposed to the black on the MBP, I find it distracting. Second is the size. Yes, I said I dislike the size. Sure, The MBP is thin and as light as can be, but I found my 2010 MBP's size to be reassuring. It just felt better built. The new MBPr's are even thinner so I doubt the size between the air and the pro retina is a huge deal.

I'm also thinking of replacing my desktop with a macbook, and a dock with mouse and keyboard. I figure the MBPr would be much better than the MBA considering the extra lighting port and hdmi port.

That said, I've gotten an offer of $900 for my MBA (profit of $200 for me). I can get the MBPr for $974 plus tax ($1234 currently at BB - $150 Student coupon - 10%). Personally, I think the screen and added power of the MBPr outweigh the size and battery life advantages of the MBA for my needs.

Anyone have any insight, or have/used both before? Thanks

2. zunairryk macrumors regular

If you can sell yours for $900 then i would say go for it. You are only adding like $75 cash in the end and getting an amazing retina screen.

3. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

You can sell what you have for a profit and get what you desire!

What's not to like? Do it!

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

A week ago I would have said no. Today I am saying most definitely do it! I essentially did the same thing. Got the Air and loved it but ended up getting my wife the base model rMBP and since she liked the air, I took the rMBP. The screen is more than worth it. We did the same deal and got the rMBP for 976. A new rMBP for under a thousand is a great deal. It's every bit as fast as the Air and the screen gets better every time I open it up.

5. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

I am also wondering if it's worth the extra $200 to go for the 256GB/8GB RAM model. Part of me thinks with the savings I could still sell the 128GB/4GB RAM later down the road for a 256GB/8GB when the need arises.

6. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Get the 256GB/8G RAM model so you don't need to worry about it.

7. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I just did the same thing. I sold my macbook air 13" 1.3 Ghz 256 ssd 4 gb ram for the base model retina macbook pro. I also swapped the ssd so my base model rMBP has a 256 ssd (probably the only one in the world with that config). I am so happy with it. The Iris graphics are impressive for intergrated. The screen is amazing and the battery life is nearly the same. I would defiantly recommend doing it.

Now me personally I got an amazing deal. I went on cowboom.com and got a refurb for $750...there is a minor scratch on the lid and the warranty is good with apple until Feb 2015. However I am extremely happy with it.

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I would really consider whether or not you need the 8/256 model. When I first started looking, I was convinced I "needed" it to future proof, but I asked myself a couple of basic questions.

Does my usage warrant 8gb of ram especially on Mavericks?
    Am I planning on keeping this machine for more than 2 maybe 3 years?

My answer to both was no. I will most likely want an updated machine in 2 or 3 years. I can hold back that 200 to put with what I get when I sell this machine to put towards the new one. That's me and you may be one that plans on using your machine for 5 plus years. If you are, get the higher configuration.

Also, if your usage warrants a higher configuration, don't go lower just to save the money, you will regret it later. However if it's strictly to "future proof," make sure it's worth it to you.

----------

750 for a rMBP?

9. Vanilla Face, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014

Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

I don't know what you do with your machine, but 128Gb is not nearly enough space.

10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

128 may not be nearly enough for YOU but for someone like me who is largely cloud based, 128 is more than enough. I currently have 82 of 128gb free on my machine.

Different users have different requirements. Everyone's needs aren't the same as yours.

11. zunairryk macrumors regular

Haha, didn't think you would go back to rMBP after reading yours posts in other threads. It's hard to resist that retina screen isn't it LOL ;)

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yes it is! I did feel kind of foolish returning to the rMBP after declaring my love for the Air. My wife ended up liking my Air and I just couldn't resist the retina this time! I still love the Air for all of the reasons I mentioned and if it had retina, it would be the best laptop ever created! That being said, I am liking the rMBP more this time around.

13. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright guys, so I may have a Dilemma. The guy I was in talks to is no longer returning my emails, after we agreed on $850. I paid $727 total, which comes out to about $120 profit.

I assume that Best Buy's sale on the base 128gb MBPr only goes through tomorrow (Currently $70 off). So, if I don't get an answer back from my buyer tomorrow, do I:

1) Return my MBA ($727), and buy MBPr 13" ($1234 - $150 EDU coupon - 10% Movers Coupon = $976 + $74 sales tax = $1050 Being a difference of about $320

2) Wait for buyer to reply (hopefully). Doing this means the $70 off sale might be over, and in the end I'd only gain $50 by waiting. Doing so, the buyer may back out or never reply and then I'd have to return or hope to find another buyer by 7/12 (When the EDU coupon expires). Return period ends July 7

3) Keep my MBA and live with it, save $320.

I am leaning towards #1 just for the security, but am wondering if the extra $320 is worth the Retina screen. I've read that the MBPr doesn't have a performance advantage over the MBA due to the resolution increase.

At least I have 18mos. no interest with my BB Card.

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I would vote for #1. Is it worth 320 more? Depends on who you ask. You won't be able to see much performance difference but the screen is arguably worth that much more.

Since you have the 18 months no interest, I think that would persuade me to go ahead and go for the retina. If the correspondence has stopped from your potential buyer, chances are they have backed out of the deal.

I'd go for it. If you don't, you may always wish you did.

15. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

I've decided to go for the Retina. My only worry now is all these reports that the coupons won't stack. 10% off is about $100. If I don't get the movers coupon to work that's over a $400 difference, becoming harder to justify. Hopefully if it doesn't work, I can show a manager that it worked on my Air.

If not, maybe I could get a manager to let me use the edu coupon on an open box one.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. That's the sweet spot when considering cost and system performance. The extra RAM will come in handy as new software and apps get fatter and fatter as far as memory usage go. Resale is higher too if it came to that.

As for whether to sell the MBA for the rMBP I'd say yes. It's a minimal expenditure for you and you get quite a bit stronger machine with a MUCH better display. The MBA is a nice machine but it's true strength lies in its super portability and lower costs. It loses to the rMBP in every other category.

17. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I ended up with a 13" MBPr, but things didn't go as expected. I couldn't use my EDU coupon again since I had used it once, so I could only use my mover's coupon. Total came to just under $1200 with tax. I guess I can't be too upset, considering its about the same price for a refurb from Apple. Still cheaper than the normal $1299 pretax. I'll just have to use my extra cash from the fire department at the end of the year.

Im glad i switched though. The air, although light, felt flimsy (the screen worried me the most). This thing feels awesome. The Retina is a joy to look at!

18. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Congrats! I am liking mine more every day. I wouldn't sweat it over the edu discount not transferring. Look at it this way. As you mentioned you would have still paid that for an Apple refurb and you got a brand new one. Plus, if you had paid regular price for the Air, you would have only paid a couple of hundred more for the retina you ended up with. I think you will really enjoy it. Did you exchange the Air for it or are you going to sell the Air to recoup costs?

19. taelan28 macrumors regular

Return the MBA and get the Retina.

What?! Interest or not, you dont have the money sucka. You university will have computer labs, use those until you scrape up the cash.

20. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

What kind of comment is this? It's no one's business how the OP chooses to purchase his machine. I financed mine, am I a "sucka" too?

21. Rhyno37, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014

Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

Where did I say I didn't have the money? I very well have the money, I work 30 hours a week during school and 40-50 hours during the summer. Plus I am on the fire department and get a (very) small amount from there. I just like to be conscious with my spending.

Some questions here for y'all. Anyone know of some good sites for retina wallpapers beside interfacelift? And anyone have some suggestions for some light games that run well?

Do you guys leave the resolution at "Best for Display" or Scaled?

22. Freyqq macrumors 68040

For games, take a look at Blizzard's stuff. Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, etc. Just run them at 1280x800 or 1440x900 (not native resolution), and you'll be fine. Also, DOTA 2 is suppose to be good and is free to play.

23. Rhyno37 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good. Any clue if games like The Sims 3 run well? Or roller coaster tycoon/sim city 4 from the App Store? Looking for games that work ok with a track pad

24. Freyqq macrumors 68040

No idea, but Civ 5 works well. I'd recommend buying through Steam, as you get the PC version included too for no extra charge. Also get the Brave New World expansion; it adds a lot to the game.

Edit: Civ 5 is on sale today on Steam...so definitely get it there.