Thinking of selling my 1G iPod Touch for a 2G iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MVApple, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2008
    So I have a few questions. How likely is it that the 3G will see a price drop in capacity? Right now the 32GB is $400 but the Zune HD and the Cowon S9 both sell the 32GB $300. A first gen ipod touch goes for about $200 right now, so a $100 upgrade for a 3G would be nice, but without the price drop it would hurt.

    My second question is, my 1G came with 1.0 software. I have since upgraded to 3.0 but can I sell it with 3.0 software? What happens when the new owner tries to sync, will it revert back to 1.0?

    Lastly, how do I make sure all my information is wiped? Will my email and their respective passwords be safe afterwards?
  2. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    First off the 3.0 upgrade is attached to your iTunes account, so yes when a buyer tried to restore the iPod, it will revert back to 1.x.x unless he/she pays for the upgrade to 3.0

    Obviously getting a 2nd generation iPod now is ill-advised since it's almost certain we'll be getting new models soon. As with new models and prices we don't really know. Maybe Apple will drop the prices a bit like the computers have dropped in price. May Apple will keep the current prices (since it's working well for them) and they'll just increase the capacities. We don't really know, but all said, at least wait for the next generation of iPod touches.
  3. wywern209 macrumors 65832


    Sep 7, 2008
    do you rly want to know?
    First off, go to the settings menu on ur touch and into the general tab. Then, go down to the reset option. Hit it and choose to erase all content and settings. That should kill all the data on the touch.

    Second question. The touch will remain on 3.0 for the new user. I suggest selling the first gen and using the cash to buy the third gen. Hope this helped

    - wywern209

    EDIT: uhh the software will revert back to 1.0 but if u were to sell with no data synced to it but without the connect to iTunes pic. So it's all depending on if u want to sell the thing with 3.0 but that isn't going to do much to increase selling price.
  4. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2008
    Thanks guys, I goofed up the title and meant 3G. I know its around the corner so I'm anticipating for the 32gb capacity to drop to $300 as opposed to now when its $400 but maybe it won't drop down that low in which case I'd be bummed.

    Has Apple ever updated the ipods without updating the capacity? I haven't seen any 64gb players so thats up in the air.

    A $100 upgrade for a faster processor, camera, speaker, volume controls, new battery, and possibly compass is worth it to me, but I don't think its worth $200.
  5. magicdanw macrumors newbie

    Jun 8, 2008
    I definitely plan on upgrading. I bypassed the 2g upgrade so I could get a 3g when it comes out. If you decide to do the same thing and sell your 1g, I got a quote for $125 from . I'll post here once it goes through with my experience with them, so if it's a bad company, only one of us has to suffer. But I have read good things about them, and it's the best price quote I've found online!
  6. gan6660 macrumors 65816


    Aug 18, 2008
    Is you 1g Touch 32gb? I would sell the touch asap meaning now because if you wait until the update and a brand new 32gb goes for $300 a used 1g is going to be $100 so I would hurry up.
  7. macsarethebest macrumors regular

    Jun 30, 2009
    Usually you'll get a much better deal on ebay or craigslist:eek:
  8. magicdanw macrumors newbie

    Jun 8, 2008
    Perhaps, but I've had bad experiences on craigslist, and I haven't sold anything on ebay, so I have no reputation points going for me.

Share This Page