Thinking of selling my busted Pro for a new one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by clarkdprice, Dec 17, 2013.

1. clarkdprice macrumors newbie

So I bought a computer last February 13 inch non-retina macbook pro. 2.5Ghz i5 with 10GBs of ram. During a move, my computer fell off a table and the left side (with the inputs) and the hinge got pretty busted. Everything but the ethernet port is functional. I got an estimate and the told me it would cost about 750 to fix as it needs a new chassis.

I'm thinking it would be smarter to just try and sell this machine and put that towards the difference of a haswell laptop. I know the resale value for this would be decent, since the computer still works just fine. My last computer was years old / didn't even work and I still got 300 for it.

Here are some photos. Can anyone help me estimate how much you think I can honestly try and get from this?

Here is the busted hinge
    [​IMG]

Here is the left side
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance guys.

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Hard to say, but if the screen and logic board are functional, you can look up how much those cost as parts (on eBay) and that would be pretty much it, since those are the most valuable parts.

I dropped my computer once too, ended up with a busted screen and case, but the logic board was fine. I found the same model sold on craigslist, fair condition but with a fried logic board. I paid the guy $250 for that. After some swapping, I had a working laptop and resold some other working parts I didn't use for $50. It's a long shot, but you maybe able to fix it for much less than $750.