Thinking of selling my iMac and buying new ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neiltc13, Oct 18, 2008.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't think I've ever asked a question in this forum - I normally post replies!

Anyway I'm considering selling my iMac (2.4GHz, 20" 2007 model) and getting the new Apple Cinema Display. I just got myself a new 2.0GHz MacBook and I'm finding it plenty fast enough for what I want to do.

The main reason I want to do it is so that I have just one machine - one hard drive with my data on it and no headaches trying to work out if the latest file is on my laptop or my desktop.

I know no one has really had much hands on time with the new displays yet but I'm looking for more general advice. Does anyone here do the whole laptop as a desktop thing and hook up to a monitor regularly?

Is there anything I should be particularly aware of that differs from a standalone desktop in this situation?

How is WiFi reception in clamshell mode?

2. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I'm actually thinking about doing the exact same thing. I used to use my MBP as my machine with an external display. I never used it in clamshell mode, though. Instead, I used the MacBook Pro as a second display for added screen real estate.

3. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I was thinking of doing the same thing...if I have the money. But the new displays aren't out until November.

4. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Sounds like a winner. Don't know why wifi would change in clamshell..

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I used my MacBook connected to an external display. See my signature. I never tried clamshell mode before though. I'm itching to though but never gotten around it due my lazyness.

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I did the whole laptop to monitor set up for quite awhile. And it's great really. The only thing that was quite annoying was connecting/disconnecting it everyday.

However, the new display seems to make things much easier, so I say if you don't mind that plus the glossy screen, go for it :cool:

Edit: better not to run it in clamshell mode as things get pretty hot. I always ran mine open, and used that screen for itunes, adium.