Thinking of selling my iPad 2 then getting the iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by supermac96, Feb 16, 2012.

1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

I have had my iPad 2 for not even a year yet but I am considering trying to sell my iPad 2 for like 50$ less than the original price then getting an iPad 3 when it comes out. It seeks like a good idea because I am basically paying 50$ for an upgrade. Also if you could guess, what do you think an iPad 2 (32 gb wifi) would sell for after th iPad 3 comes out, then I could keep this until a few weeks before the iPad 4 if I couldn't still sell it for a lot. What do you think?

2. number84 macrumors 6502

sure, go for it...but not sure if you can get it for $50 less than retail. maybe $50 less than refurb price? (or at the very least will definitely have to be less than refurb price)

3. ALongoria23 macrumors member

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I was thinking of charging around 350 for it. I paid for the 16GB WiFi version but I also figure nobody is going to pay 450-500, when another is just around the corner.

4. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Ya I guess it depends how close people realize the next iPad is. I was thinking of just putting it in like Craigslist for 550$ (it's a 32)

5. ALongoria23 macrumors member

With the additon of a Jailbreak, it could probably go for a bit more. I've always sold my iPhone's for around 350-400, but that's also due to the unlock factor.

Good luck in selling!

6. airmax922 macrumors member

already did that last month. sold my black 16GB Wifi with smartcover, silicon back cover for $440

:D

Waiting for the iPad 3 announce so I can order it for free (my office X'mas gift, option to wait for iPad 3)
    :apple:

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not to be a Negative Nellie, but IMHO you've missed the peak by a bit and you'd be lucky to get $100 less than original on a 32G/wifi. Check ebay completed listings and Amazon prices on used ones. For that matter, refurbs are $500 at store.apple.com.

Talk about "the next ipad" coming in early March has already hit mainstream media such as WSJ

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would NOT jail break the device before selling it. To me this would subtract value and not add to it.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

If it is going to be an office gift why must you sell your old one?

Yeah, nothing new guys... tons of people do this with their phones/pads.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

Im not trying to be a jerk but there's threads about this for a bit already because dumping old gear pre-release is an annual ritual for many of us and you're a bit lat to be getting "maximum return".

I'd say that $50 off at this point is a bit too hopeful. I managed to get $550 for both of our 32GB WiFi iPads but thats because I threw in some extra stuff in order to get more eyeballs and make it more unique (Clearanced $20 HP Touchpad keyboard and cables). But if you're just selling the iPad and original box then I'd say you'd be lucky to get $500. And that luck goes down every day you wait.

Good Luck.

11. snow blind macrumors regular

Listen to this guy! I had my pristine 32GB iPad 2 on CL for a week before I got $500... it was like pulling teeth at this point to get that. Had to do some sweet talkin' and throw in a poly smart cover.

12. mythree macrumors newbie

Good luck with that - you and a million others - lol...:eek: Give it to the old bag next door and write it off your taxes.

13. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I just sold my 64GB iPad 2 this evening. I got it for 67% of the original price it was... I could have got it for a lot more, but I think I left it too late to get a really good price for it. I decided just to cut my losses!

I sold it to put towards funds for the iPad 3 :)

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If you're gonna do it, then sell it ASAP. Each day you wait, the less you'll get less for it.

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

That's not true at all. You'll get top dollar until the day the iPad 3 is released.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If people know a newer model is coming out tomorrow and the current generation will drop in price, why would they pay top dollar today when they can get the same one cheaper or a newer model for the same price tomorrow?

17. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Trust me.. Not everyone is aware a new iPad may be coming out the next day. Sure people who follow tech news will know, but the majority of people in the world do not. A lot of people don't even know/care what the difference is between the newer model and the previous model. They're just looking to purchase the device.

18. Agent-P, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

But after Apple announces it, even regular news outlets will be reporting it. Then most average consumers will be aware a new one is being released.

EDIT: do you mean the day before the announcement or the day before the actual release? Cuz that would change my response.

19. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The day before the announcement is what I meant, not the actual release.

20. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Oh, well in that case then you may be right. I thought you meant the day before actual release and that's what I was basing my argument off of. Okay, that clears things up :)

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

You're not factoring the increased supply of used ipads as time draws nearer any announcement vs lessened demand. Yes, not everyone knows something is coming. But when enough of them do and start flooding the used market, and enough potential buyers (or techies tell their friends/family to wait), simple supply/demand depresses the prices.

Saw it plainly last year, seeing it again now. It will shift sharply when an announcement hits, but prices are definitely down from where they were a week or two weeks ago.