Thinking of selling my March iPhone 4S upgrade and using the money for a new iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bobby Corwen, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Bobby Corwen, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I have an AT&T upgrade coming up but what I really want is the iPhone 5. Since its not coming up until probably late this year, and I don't really care about Siri, (I care more about Retinas) I think I might just go ahead with the upgrade but not open the box and just sell it on Ebay or Craigslist (offer to unlock it too) and then use that money to pre-order (will there be pre-ordering?) a new iPad 3 Retina edition.

I figure I can sell it for almost 600$ or so if its sealed in box.

I can then make due with my current iPhone 4 which is plenty fast, has same Retina, and only has Siri as the one main difference. When the new 5 comes out, I can sell my 4 for a few hundred and pay the difference in retail price.

Though I do notice the market is a bit saturated compared to other years.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The only problem I see is that you will be using your subsidized upgrade price for the 4s, making the next iPhone more expensive.

Also, you will have to sell it below retail in order to make it worth it for the buyer.

Good luck! :)

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You cannot unlock the 4S, nor is there a time frame for a 4S unlock, so that is quite literally out of the question. A new in box 4S will still fetch a good price though. You could possibly get enough to cover a low-end iPad 3 before taxes, but I have to ask, what then would you use to purchase the new iPhone? A brand new iPhone actually costs more out of contract than an iPad.

4. rainking macrumors regular

Yea, the cost for the iPhone 5 will be outrages without subsidized pricing.

5. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Upgrading to 4S = -$200
    Selling 4S = +$550-$600

-----------
    ~$400 profit.
    +$200 out of pocket for iPad 3

--------
    Nov
    Sell iPhone 4 +$250-300
    Buy iPhone 5 -$600

So thats total ~$500 out of pocket.

About the price for buying an iPad 3 now.

Except I am deferring the money? And getting a shiny iPad 3 for free now, and pay money out of pocket later?

I dunno I feel like real life results won't be that efficient.

What if the market is too saturated to sell...

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't really like dealing with selling stuff. Too many lowball offers, etc.

In my opinion, if you are just "deferring" the money it wouldn't be worth the hassle (to me).

You may end up having to sell the 4s for less than you want, which could make the whole process more trouble than it's worth.

Lastly, we don't know (for sure) what the pricing structure for the new iPad or iPhone will be.

Now, if you are wanting to do this because you don't have the funds to buy the iPad now, and want to take the extra time to save up for the next iPhone, that makes a difference.

7. ThatsMeRight, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Or you just keep on using your current phone, and wait until the iPhone 6 (the iPhone 4S = the fifth generation iPhone) is here. So you can buy an iPad 3, and than between March and October, you can save up $199 to buy an iPhone 6 in October.

Than you get this scenario:

- Buy iPad 3 for $599.
    -- -$600
    - Sell iPhone 4 for $349 or $399 in September or October (remember, the iPhone 4 8 GB is still on sale for $549 simlock free)
    -- +$350
    - Buy sixth generation iPhone for $199 on contract
    -- -$200

In the end it costs you: -600 + 350 + -200 = -450 - so it costs you $450.

Oh, and you are assuming you are getting $600 for a LOCKED iPhone 4S, while the iPhone 4S simlockfree is on sale for $649 at Apple's online store. I would guess $500 to $550 at most. Assume $500 (always worse-case scenario). In that case, it costs you $600. In any case, my plan (buy iPad 3 for $599, sell iPhone 4 for $350 and buy iPhone 6 for $200 (= -$450)), sounds better.

8. falcora macrumors 6502

Deferring payment of a product.... isn't that why we have credit cards?

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but if money is that tight, you likely should not be buying he new iPad and should stick to what you have.:rolleyes:

10. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I know what you mean. It is a hassle kind of, but I am familiar. I would just rather spend the money on more important things this month (like bodybuilding supplements)

This is assuming prices stay similar. I doubt it will go lower than what it is now.

The bonus that is not calculable is that I get the definitive new iPad experience (for free in a way) AT launch. Which is infinitely more exciting.

I just want it ASAP!!

:p