Thinking of Selling my MBP for a new iMac, Have Some Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Arcadia310, May 3, 2011.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

I do a lot of video editing and have a lot of stuff on my MacBook Pro that I wouldn't want to lose. How do I back up all of my files so when I get a new iMac I can simply restore it all? Can I buy an external hard drive or do I have to settle for Apple proprietary stuff?

I'm mainly thinking of switching because this is a Core 2 Duo MBP w/ a 13 inch screen and it simply doesn't cut it for the video work I do. Exporting a 7 minute HD video should not take damn near 40 minutes lol. :eek: The added screen real estate and speed should help out immensely, I would probably just get the base $1,199 21.5 model.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can buy any external drive and backup using Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then restore to your new Mac.

3. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Why go through the extra step of transferring to a separate hard drive? You can connect the two Macs directly and use the migration assistant to transfer all your data.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

4. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks. Are those free programs? Time machine is already built into Mac OS X right?

Do you guys have any recommendations for cheap 1-3TB hard drives?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One reason is that it's always a good idea to have a backup drive.
    Yes, Time Machine is already on your Mac and Carbon Copy Cloner is free.
    I don't know about cheap, but I've had great success with this:
    OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™
    [​IMG]

6. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to sell my MBP before I get a new iMac.

7. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Well yeah, okay. Regular backing up is always a must, and I do that with Time Machine. I've just always transferred files directly when upgrading to a new machine — sometimes manually, and sometimes using the migration assistant.

Ah. I've never had that luxury since I need to keep working, and I'd feel a bit nervous wiping a machine to sell knowing that I'm relying on having backed up properly. In that case I'd suggest you might even want to invest in two backup drives, just in case something goes wrong with one.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps the OP doesn't have the funds to purchase the iMac and so selling the MBP will finance the purchase.