Thinking of switching from Verizon to AT&T for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SandersHokie, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I'm a huge Apple lover.

My contract is up on Verizon and was finally thinking of making the switch.

I read in my hometown we should be getting 3G soon with AT&T.

However, is AT&T is bad as I've heard? Or does the iPhone trump it?

I have high doubts Apple will join with Verizon, so I've decided to probably make the switch.

2. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

also, I think I am going to teach in Europe next year (2010-2011) and was wondering if the iPhone would work over there? might be a stupid question, but just curious.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

the whole Verizon vs. AT&T thing depends very much on where you're located, so we'll probably not be able to give you any useful information on the subject. You'd have to try it yourself. Maybe sign up for a new iPhone (without porting your old number) and use it for two or three weeks to see how it works for you.

On the upside, as it's a GSM phone, it'll work most places abroad.

4. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

how's that work Abroad? Do you have to get a new number to call back to the USA so I don't pay huge long distance? Or do I have to buy calling cards in Europe? It will be my first time over seas so I'm just curious.

5. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I made the same switch, and am very happy I did. ATT has a service map on their website that you can check to see if it will be decent coverage in your area for now (I know you said 3G is coming).

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

AT&T has international plans, they are somewhat pricey though. They mainly for people who live in the US but travel overseas. If you move overseas for any length of time, you would probably want to cancel your AT&T plan and get a plan with a european carrier. Since the iPhone is GSM, it will work on most (any?) european carrier.

7. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I think it all depends on where you are located. Here in Kentucky they are fine. I have never had a problem with them. I had Cingular before they switched to At&t. I don't like some of the games they play with the iphone but then again Apple is also to blame on that.

8. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I switched from Verizon to get the 3G on the day of launch and as soon as Verizon gets an iPhone I'm switching back.

AT&T is garbage compared to Verizon.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

+1 that is the best idea. Cell phone companies do not work 100% from coast to coast and people seem to forget that. Go what works for you where you need it most.