Thinking of trading 2010 iMac to 2011 iMac. Worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by UnReel ATX, May 5, 2011.

1. UnReel ATX macrumors newbie

What do you guys think? Would it be worth me trading my 2010 iMac in for a 2011 model? I really like the prospect of 3 monitors, better graphics card, and processor. I don't know if that's really feasible or not, but I do a lot of graphics and video work, so I could see it being worth it. Thoughts?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Trade it like a direct trade? Like a bigger screened model for a smaller one?(so its an even deal)

If you're selling a computer then buying the 2011 iMac, I don't know its worth the trouble or lose. I'd wait for Ivy Bridge to get those upgrades(the extra displays and plus you'd gain more speed)

3. applegenius83 macrumors newbie

I see you have the 27" i3 iMac... in that case, there would be a noticeable speed difference if you got the i7. It's a 2600 and is about 3 times as fast. That's just the CPU... the 6970 is also around 3 times as fast as the 5670... if you want more info on the speeds, go to cpubenchmark.net.
    It's definitely got way more speed... if you have the money, it's your decision. Of course you have to figure out how you'll get that other iMac off your hands...

4. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

5. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

What he said.

I'm in a similar position.

6. UnReel ATX thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe the apple store will buy your old one back for its value, then you can put that towards a new one. Which is what I would be doing, since I will be sticking with a 27"

Thank you sir for that info, and yes I do have the i3. I would love the i7, but would probably end up with an i5.

Apple store, I believe they will buy your computer at its value and give you that balance towards a new computer.

7. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

how much would they give me for a 2008 base 20 inch iMac?

8. Entourage12 macrumors member

9. applegenius83 macrumors newbie

10. CoryBoyUSA macrumors member

Apple uses PowerON to handle their trades (they don't do it in-store and on the spot, as far as I can tell), and I just read some horror stories about PowerON the other day. People have traded things in through them and were given a LOT less than that online quote shows, by nitpicking every little thing and saying it's poor instead of good, etc. So I'd highly suggest trying Craigslist or something, or at least read the PowerON reviews before proceeding.

11. sth, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

sth macrumors 6502a

You said you are doing a lot of video work and speed is the reason why you want to upgrade. In that case, I would definitely go for the fastest option possible, otherwise you might find yourself in the same situation next year. Video rendering/encoding is one of the few areas where the i7 actually does make a difference. Have a look at the CPU-related tests at http://www.barefeats.com/imac11b.html (3.1 i5 vs. 3.4 i7) to see how big the difference is.

Anyway, the trade-in seems like a really bad deal. Try Craigslist or EBay instead and use the extra money to get the i7 model.

And whatever you do, don't buy RAM upgrades directly from Apple.
    For graphics and video work, I suggest adding another 8gb yourself (~$100), so you end up with 12gb total.

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

i7 has virtualization (4 physical, 8 virtual cores) the i5 does not.

13. edmedrun macrumors newbie

Trade in 2010 imac

I am contemplating the same decision my self. 2010 imac i3 w/ 8G Ram. I advise checking out PoweMax.com. These guys are great very helpful and have the best trade in program out there. Great now everyone thinks that I work for PowerMax. "I do not"

I just have the same question is the jump from the base 21" 2010 imac worth it, if I can get a fair trade in for my 2010 imac?

14. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Given what you do, yes.

It sounds like you have the means as well (edit: maybe after sale/trade-in?), which makes the "worth it" argument even easier.

i7 with 2GB video RAM and eventually TBolt loving which it sounds like you'd use well!....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Nope. Apple will offer trade in, but you don't get much money for it. They don't offer you "its value".

If you want to maximize your return you have to sell on ebay or craigslist.

If it's less than 1 month old, they might, but if it's more than 6 months you would lose a LOT of money.

16. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I just did this. I upgraded from a 2010 i7 2.93Ghz for a 2011 i7 3.4Ghz.
    Not noticed much difference in speed yet - but I wanted the new one and had a chance to place the 2010 somewhere else in my company so I took the 2011

the 2011 runs in 64bit mode natively so I had some issues with the Apple USB modem (only works in 32bit). I had to get another faxmodem (not used much, but need faxes occasionally)

I used the same 16 GB RAM I had purchased for the 2010.

As soon as the "clouds" clear - I plan to get a fast 6GB DSS to replace or add to the HD (2TB)